cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenpaint4me
Senior Reader

JD 9500 4x4 tire question

Anyone out there put a set of 28L x 26 steering tires on a 9500 4x4?  If so,what size drive tires are you running?  Deere's book says they will fit, but recommend using only with 66" floaters on the front.  (I have 18.4-26's on now, and it's level)  but I'm afraid the 28's will raise the back of the machine up about 4".  Don't want to put a wedge kit on platform and look like a lowrider cutting beans.  My next choice is 23.1 x 26's, haven't found specs on height for Firestone 23 degree tires yet.  Maybe I should just buy new 18.4 x 26's and call it done??  Too bad I already bought a PRISTINE set of 28L x 26's.........Guess I'll stick em in the corner till someone wants and can use them.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: JD 9500 4x4 tire question

If it were me, I'd take those tires and put them on something with red paint and all your problems will be solved. HA HA, just yanking your chain. As you can tell I'm a red paint kind of guy.
0 Kudos
greenpaint4me
Senior Reader

Thanks for the advice Shaggy!  U r a funny guy!  

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

If it will help you, our 4400 has 23.1x26 Firestone drive tires.  I can measure the height tomorrow.  I'll get the axle centerline height and the top of the tread bars.  Being drive tires they are "squashed" a little, but  if it'll help I'll be back sometime tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

OK, I'm back.  Our 4400 has been sitting in the shed since Aug., with a 13-ft. grain head locked in the raised position, on a recycled asphalt surface.  The drive tires are Firestone 23 degree 23.1x26, like you were looking at as an alternative for your 9500 steer tires.  The centerline of the axle is about 25 1/4" up from the ground, and the top of the highest tread bar is about 56 1/2" up.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
greenpaint4me
Senior Reader

I spoke with a guy who runs the tire setup on his 9610 like im talking about. I guess because the 96's were 8-10" wider to begin with, he still had to go out to 148", ctr. to ctr. of his steering axle w/ 28's to clear the side shields when the axle pivots! Im at 124". I could do that, but then comes the front width problem (6 R-30). I dont want to buy/find spacers then have mechanical stress problems. I think ill go back to a new set of 18.4-26's. Guess Ill try to sell my 28L-26's and recoup some cash. This is the time when I kick myself for not investigating enough before i wrote the guy a check? Thanks for checking on your 23's, according to your measurements, those are about as tall and would still stick out a little from the 30.5x32's after i adjusted the steer axle for clearance.
0 Kudos