cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebraska Sandhiller
Frequent Contributor

JD corn planters

It is looking like the guy that I usually have plant my corn is going to get here late this year as he has all his ground back from lease to a potato farm who uses it 1 year out of 3.. 

I am thinking of buying a planter, but need to keep the cost down.  Would a JD 7100 be something to think about.  6 or 8 row. 

What advice can you give me on which are good, and which to stay away from.  I would be planting 300+ acres

If I wanted to no till some (irrigated ground so lots of stalks) what kind of attachments should it have.

anyone have a useable planter for sale within driving distance of NW Nebraska?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steakmaker
Frequent Contributor

Re: JD corn planters

I have a 12 row 7100 built in about 1980. I really like it. All the parts are replaceable, in fact I think I could replace most of the parts for less than a newer planter would cost (a 5 year old JD 1760 12 row just sold on a neighbors auction for $50,000). Two years ago I updated to the newer style closing wheel assemblies and went with one spike tooth closing wheel on each row. I also have Precision Planting updates on my meters and as the seed tubes wear out I'm replacing with bullseye seed tubes.

0 Kudos
SWMICH
Frequent Contributor

What about a 6 or 8 row  JD 7200 , liquid fert, no till,finger pickup, row cleaners,coulters, closing wheels,  You should be able to pick oned up for around $8,000.00  depending on the condition. Your local JD dealer would go over it if you  are unable to. 

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

If you have heavy ground you need the no till openers and cast closing wheels.    Your dealer is the best person to ask for what works best in your area.   Don't be afraid of the older models as they work plenty good.  Presently I have a vacuum planter but have had finger types also and both well.  Replace the opening discs as Deere advises.  They do all the work and take lots of abuse.   Having good openers is cheap insurance to planting it right.   Set the closing wheels at the least spring pressure setting. 

0 Kudos