cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheFastMan
Frequent Contributor

Re: John Deere oil pressure problems

Thanks for the all input guys. I went over after work today and we got it all figured out. We took the oil pressure relief spring out and stuck a half inch nut in the cap and now we have about 60 or 65psi at full throttle. There was no shim in it before. It actually fixed the front main leak also. I guess it didn't have enough pressure on it. We may get a drop or two out of it after it sits for a while, but I think it will break in. We are actually thinking this may be why it burned up in the first place. It was rebuilt in 2005 and we are thinking the guy must've lost the original shim (it looks like there is supposed to be something in there on the diagram on Deere's site) and stuck it back together. The oil light on the thing would come on when you got down to about half throttle, but I don't know at what pressure the light is supposed to come on. When it burned up I was moving quite a bit of snow with it, so low pressure and a lot of work load caused the no.2 rod bearing to burn up. That's my theory anyway. All we have to do now is patch up a couple hydraulic leaks and that ought to be it.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Having put a few engines together as a former drag racer you should mic everything.  Just because the box says it is a certain size the parts may not be.  Humans put the parts in the box and an error is always possible.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Congrats on the relatively easy fix.   BTW if you figure out how to eliminate all hydraulic leaks let me know.  LOL

0 Kudos