cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Kaufman Trailers

Thinking of ordering a trailer from Kaufman trailers.  They are in North Carolina.  No dealers, you buy directly from them.  I was wondering if anybody knows of their quality and workmanship.  Really would rather not drive 700 miles to look them over. TIA

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Kaufman Trailers

I have a friend/neighbor that purchased a Kaufman trailer last year and he is happy with it. I have seen it and it seems to be well built.  I think his is a double 7000 lb axle tilt, about 18 feet ? Price was around $4000, with spare tire and the electrical upgrade so the wires don't corrode. Not sure about how delivery was handled. When I called them this year, I think Delivery is an extra, and you have to unload a trailer off of the top of another one, maybe.

THe way used trailers sell at auction, you are much better getting a wholesale price on a new one. Check with Sparks trailers, too. He handles the PJ trailers which are really good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Thanks for the reply Red  They told me delivery to my zip code would be $300.  I saw on their web site about the electrical upgrades, a must for us in the salt belt.  I went to a PJ dealer, 3 times, an hour and a half away from home and they are an easy $1000 higher than Kaufman.  I am trying to decide between a deck over and deck between the wheels.  I have hauled hay with both kinds.  The deck over is nice but I like the low deck height of the deck between wheel model.  I am leaning towards the kind where the rear 14 feet of a 22 footer pivots down to drive up on then a shock absorber lets it lower gradually.  The reason I asked about the quality is I looked at Hurst trailers when I was looking to buy 1 last summer.   The price was enticing but I wouldn't put my name on something so poorly built.  Wire hanging from welds, poor paint, etc.  You do get what you pay for.  I guess Kaufman must be cheaper because of no dealer mark up.  BTW I have a 24+5 Big Tex gooseneck for sale.  5 foot ramps fold up flat to make a 29 foot deck.  Very good condition. Red in color. '04 or '05 model.  Spare never used.  A new leftover '09 is $6950.  Asking $4950.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Just bought a Big Tex gooseneck,  22000 #   gvwr  with 24+5 with tandem dual 10,000# axles.  Inside the main frame rails you can practically see through the red paint.  There was loose scale on the beams before they painted it and under the wiring harness there is bare steel.  I thought it would be best to buy from a big production facility because they would have state of the art painting and prep facilities.  Buy from someone who supposedly sandblasts first as the steel is rusty when they get it.  Plus I think it would be a good idea to paint a trailer BEFORE you wire it.  Are you listening BIG TEX?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Wish I had of seen your post earlier.  Just paid 9000 for a new Big Tex from a dealer just like yours.  Also PJ trailers are powder coated.  Next best thing to galvanized.  But read somewhere on the net where the buyer was not impressed with the paint/prep job.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Something must have changed at Big Tex.  My 2005 14K gooseneck has excellent paint.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Tell  a friend. LOL  I looked at PJ trailers.  Ther are OK but overpriced in my view.

0 Kudos