cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Kohler 30hp questions

I have a ZTR mower with a Kohler 30 hp engine.  It's been running fine and has had regular service.  The last couple of days, it's been out in the rain.  When I tried to start it, it cranks good but with white smoke.  It cranks fine but sometimes comes to almost a dead stop, then starts cranking again.  Plenty of fuel, oil and the choke is working.

Any tips on what might be causing this sudden stoppage - the engine almost stops then starts spinning again.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CindyYLee
Friend

Re: Kohler 30hp questions

Hey Jim, this is Cindy Lee from Kohler Engines. Our field service team can help you out. Please email your engine spec and serial numbers to them at enginefieldservice@kohler.com.

I informed them about your situation and they're waiting to hear back from you.

Thanks, Cindy

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I don't recall getting any return response but think the situation was caused by hydrolock.  It's stil losing oil but I can't figure out why.  Oh, well.  

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

Hydrolock will cause those symptoms. It also puts enormous stress on the piston, rings, and rod as well as the crank and block.  We bent a connecting rod on a diesel in a skid loader from hydrolock. Is there a way water could get into the exhaust or intake? Are you saying you got it running now, but it uses oil?

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Compression is good and plugs look OK.  I need to recheck the seat in the oil drain - I wonder if it is seeping a little.  It seems to be running better lately.  Maybe just operating is good for it.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I've got a 20HP 2 cylinder Kohler engine on one of my farm mowers that has between 200 and 300 hours, and not hard hours, I would call them Gma hours. Engine was overhauled first time at 75 hours, and it is shot again. I will never, MOCK MY WORDS NEVER own another kohler engine. I am planning on replacing the Kohler with probably a Honda twin. I've got 2 or 3 other small Honda engines on the farm and they are much better all around, hands down. IMO, Kohler is nothing but junk.
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I talked to a local small engine man who said the Kohler I have is made in the U.S.  I think it is the Challenger.  There is a cheaper Kohler made in China and he said be cautious about that one.  The name should be the guarantee.  I don't want to have to know which model was Chinese and which American.  Kohler needs to figure this out.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

You said it Jim, from now on if it says Kohler I'm walking away. I think I've still got a couple other Kohler's around the farm somewhere. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Shaggy --- It's  MARK my words ---   lol  You starting to post like me ! LMAO 

BTW I had a kohler --------- once ----- it was on one of my transfer pumps on thetender truck - Every dam time I would get caught in a shower --with out the motor covered - I would have to pull the top cover off and use some sand paper or emery cloth to shine it up so I could get spark again - Love my Honda's

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I agree, those little Honda's are hard to beat. I've also got 2 or 3 of them on compressors and one on the sprayer with 0 issues from day one.

Thanks for the grammar lesson. LOL
0 Kudos