cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Advisor

L 10 cummins

Just bought a L10 for my N6. Looking for a flat sump approximately 3 inches deep all the way along the crank.  Is there such a thing and what is it called.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: L 10 cummins

Are you serious?...an L10 in an N6? That motor will twist the rotor drive off.....It's probably going to turn over 280 horse. I think I would have looked for an 8.3 liter...that's more than enough motor for that combine.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

Yes, I am serious.  The job is nearly complete.  As for twisted off the rotor drive, I think there are some belts will let go before it gets to that.  There are plenty of this stuff over here.  You can put a 36 feet comb on them and still have the power.  I am reliably informed, at peak revs of 2200 they will cut interest rates.  Wish me luck.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

I have seen L10s in big wheel loaders and I think they might have a flat pan, though I never really looked that close.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

Righto, someone will know this.  Now the L10 is installed, it will not turn more than about 30 degrees and the starter will not push any more. Let it off and it does the same.  Checked the valve clearances, engine turns over very tightly by hand and I think it should be a bit more loose.  Tried two starter motors and they both do the same.  Huge battery on the electrics which turns over a N14 no trouble.  Should I need two of these batteries?  Shouldn't have to, do you think.  Come one. Throw something in. \Thanks.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

..My M-11 (Electronic L10) uses 3, 725 Cold Cranking Amp batteries to start. I don't know how they rate batteries in your country. I'm concerned that the motor only turns 30 degrees at a time...if it's fresh (re-built) you may have extremely good compression....but if it rotates all the way around by hand...you should be able to get it to start. Has this motor been run before?...Is the oiling system primed?....We either find a way to rotate the oil pump until the entire engine gets lubricated on a freshly rebuilt motor...or take a resevoir (pressure tank, like a used refrigerant cannister) and plumb some fittings on it to blow oil into the oil pressure gauge port to get oil in all the passages before turning the motor over. Good luck....I'm still shaking my head over your conversion...but I'm hoping you get it together soon....LOL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

One other thing I noticed...you said the L10 will turn 2200 RPM.....The original 426 probably had a 2600 RPM limit. I know that's what my 426 in my L3 has....and I generally load it down to around 2450 (2400 being what they refer to as "Full Load Governed Speed"). I suspect you'll need some drive pullies to adjust the speed of the main shaft up a little bit with the newer engine.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

All the pulley conversions, etc were done at the beginning.  The engine supplier governed he engine to a max of 2200. This is the same revs the big Allis motor runs, so wish me luck.   As for the rotor drive, apparently it is the same in the N7 and it is driven by a 270 hp engine.  Can see why a change of colour would affect that but I will find out I guess.

I am now convinced the engine has a piston full of diesel which won't allow  it to turn over.  Today is D day.  Will keep you advised. Let me tell you, doing the conversion by myself is far more stressful compared to building my 40 feet air seeder and 80 feet boomspray.

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

>  I am reliably informed, at peak revs of 2200 they will cut interest rates. <

LOL!

I want one of them!

Good luck. I agree, there is something on the piston locking it up. Hope you don't bend a rod.

G' day

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

After having the Cummins technicians here for two days trying to get the engine to turn over, I tortured my brain withy thought and decided to screw the exhaust valves down to make it swing over.  Away it went and whilst resetting the tappets, the exhaust gurgled it head off with diesel coming out of the cyclinders.  It had leaked diesel into the cylinders and the cummins techs couldn't find it.   Who is going to tell them?

0 Kudos