cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Locating machinery

Jump to solution

Does anyone know of any web site where a person looking for a particular piece of used equipment can post what they are looking for and then have participing dealers notify them if they would have one or if one became available?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Advisor

Good Luck !

Jump to solution

I am having trouble getting salesmen to even return my calls! (see my blog about this at http://walnutprairie.blogspot.com/2010/11/customer-expectations.html)  I have had repeated discussions with dealers and their salesmen about keeping web site current.  I look at local dealer's sites and see things I KNOW have been sold.

Right now salesmen are not hungry enough to do what you are wanting

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Good Luck !

Jump to solution

I know what you mean Mike.  I called a dealer yesterday on an item listed in their ad in the current paper and the dealer said that it had been sold for some time.   I like it when dealers list their asking price along with a decent description of the equipment for sale on their web sites.  Some do a good job while others do not.  I can understand some dealers not wanting to list their asking price although I think it cuts down on their web induced inquiries.  One site I was on yesterday did not even list the hours, condition and optional equipment on their used combines and tractors.  My idea of using the internet is to help save time so it does me no good if I have to call just to find out the hours to see if I'm even interested.   Some dealers have very good web sites with good info and pictures and others are poorly lacking.  I'm thinking some dealers don't realize the potential of their web sites. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: don't realize the potential of their web sites

Jump to solution

It's way beyond "don't realize".  Sit and talk with a few guys who have been looking for a piece of machinery.  I'm confident in saying 3 out of 4 or maybe even a higher percentage will say they looked online.  I really think an equipment dealer needs to task one person to keeping the online listings current.  It may just take 10 minutes a day, but it needs done AT LEAST once a day.  And someone needs to be responsible for reading and replying to emails within a couple hours.

As you can tell, this is a pet peeve of mine.

I'm the guy who walked into the dealership and said "Where's this tractor you have online?" and when the salesman said "Aw, that's been sold for months" hit the ceiling.  They got a teenager to help the salesman (who knows nothing about computers) to try and get their listings current.  Within 2 hours of listing a couple tractors they were sold out of state.

Last fall I told the owner of a (different) muti-store dealership and told him just how lousy their web site was.  I was trying to buy a combine and when I would ask my salesman about one he would tell me it had been sold quite a while ago. I guess they got the point.  I bought a combine and they now keep fairly current on tractorhouse.

0 Kudos
cvx
Senior Reader

Re: don't realize the potential of their web sites

Jump to solution

Here,Here, Mike, Called on several tractors and planters recently, all sold, but still on websites.Contacted a local deere dealer  about what I was looking for 2 months ago and he actually contacted me about some equipment that had been traded in recently. Bought both, so at least I can quit searching for now. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Re: Locating machinery

Jump to solution
I would try fastline or tractorhouse. I don't know if they have a way that you can post equipment that you are looking for but they do have a large selection of equipment listed (but the listings arnt always current). I would recommend talking to your local dealers. Most of the larger dealers have many connections and can help you find what you are looking for
0 Kudos