cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Looking for newer powerstroke.....

I am looking at f250's, one '07, one '08. 6.0 and 6.4 respectively.  I have heard so many horror stories about them, but a gentleman whom I respect, assures me that there used to be similar arguments over the 7.3 when it first came out competing against gm and cummins.  Most of the negatives are hype.  I understand that the 6.0 had some significant issues first couple of years, but ford was good about standing behind them.  Both trucks I mentioned are very low mile, under 50 k and have balance of 6y/100k warranties left, so my concern isnt so much the immediate future, but after the warranty.  I am looking for real world experience on both engines.  I searched the post history and read all them. I am curious about economy as this will become my dailey driver to and fro work...30 miles each way. I ride the bike in warm weather, truck will probably get 18-20k per year. Anyone willing to take the time and share a bit, I am greatful.  Thanks sincerely.  Joe

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for newer powerstroke.....

I also wanted to ask about chipping either one.  This truck will do nothing more than drive back and forth to work, haul seed, light work 99% of the time.  My neighbor swears by the chip, he has chipped every one of his and has good results, mostly in mpg...which is what I am looking for.  Looking for info on that topic as well.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

My cousin worked at a pivot repair shop, that bought 3 new 6.0 Powerstrokes when they first came out.  Between them, if I remember right, they replaced 5 or 6 turbos, one fuel pump (the high pressure one) and replaced several injectors, one of which required the cab mounts be loosend, and the cab lifted up, in order to get it replaced.  All of this was within 2 year of buying them.

He said the newer 6.4s were holding up 'much better', and have since gone to Dodge Cummins trucks, where the engines are holding up really good, but the smog filters are plugging from time to time because of 'too much idling'.

I would shy away from the 6.0.  The Grand Island, NE Hospital is currently in a lawsuit against Ford, because they bought several ambulances with the 6.0 engine in them, and are suing over lemon laws.  I belive one of them has spent more time in the shop, than at the hospital.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I dont know about the 6.4 but with the 6.0, Dont chip. the 6.0 engine was built to handle what it was developed at and not much more. Most of the horror stories come from people who chipped their engines and would run down the road at 4000 RPM the motor just cant handle it. Most of the problems with injectors and fuel pumps come from the low quality fuel we have now days. Fuel Filter needs to be replaced every 5000 to 10000 miles or every two oil changes. Alot of problems develop from not changing oil. Also they dont like to idle for prolonged periods. Suit can build up on the turbo fans and cause problems for the turbo, likely the problem for the ambulances as they would spend alot of time idleing. We have an 06 with 140000 miles F350 with a bale bed and a six speed and havent had any problems with them. There are some that were just total junk, didnt matter what you did to them they still had problems and then some were really good. If you can get the 6.4 i would go that direction, or if you dont mind dodge the cummins is a great motor, interiors are very much inferior to fords in my opinion. If you have more questions or concerns you can search diesel power magazine and with a little digging they have all the problems each year model had and what the fixes are for it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

RUN AWAY FROM THE 6.O AS FAST AS YOU CAN, IF YOU DON`T YOU WILL BE SORRY.

0 Kudos