cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Reader

Looking for opinions

My grandfather farms and well I'm trying to get my foot in the door I know it wont be easy. I work a full time job as a salesman for an equipment company. I recently got promoted to sales I was a mechanic for the company prior. But anyway I'm looking for opinions and advice the majority of the ground that I can afford to rent is 10-40 acre patches. I'm looking for an older tractor 100-150hp. Something dependable easy to work on and affordable any suggestions? Also I'm converting an old cattle barn into a shop well the back half anyway has anyone done this any tips? Thank you

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Looking for opinions

..your handle gives you away. How could anyone recommend anything but a Case/IH to you?..LOL

..If you're looking for cheap, you're going to spend money fixing it...or putting tires on it. The 7100 series Magnums...might be the way to go for you. I've got an older 7120..and I used it for everything, spraying, fertilizer, planting, working ground. If properly maintained..they'll run a lot of hours. You can't buy a 50 series IH tractor..that will match the hours that the Magnum will put on without major repairs. But they're going to run you in the 40,000 dollar range to get a tractor that might or might not have 2500-4000 hours of life left before majoring the engine. Tires are an issue too. They get real expensive real fast today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You say you used to be a mechanic, and still work at the dealership.  Would they let you work on your own stuff after hours or on weekends during the slow season when they have empty bays?  If you can do the labor yourself, you can get some pretty cheap HP.

For cheapcheapcheap, you can't beat a 66 series IH.  If the injection pumps were turned up, they puked rear ends, and the engines are known to cavitate, BUT, we got a 1066 with a new rear end & TA that had the cylinders cavitate through (just after the rear end & TA) for $5000, then put a reman engine with a 3 year warranty for another $4500 (after core, add another grand if the block is bad).  For under $10,000 we have a tractor that we more or less use as a 'spare' if anything goes wrong with another of our antiques.  (my 'best' tractor is a 5088).  It all depends on what you are going to do with it, and what you can live with.

We can farm a couple hundred acres with that 1066, and we got a whole extra tractor for less than the down payment on a 'new' one.  As a result, we can have one tractor on a grain wagon, and the other on the stackmover, and haul in hay when it doesn't go to pick.  Added bonus: the 1066 goes like 25 MPH down the road.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

Yes my boss will let me use the shop anytime that and my shop should be done by the first of the year. My grandfather has a 7240 we use for everything it seems. Although the neighbor has a 1066 and a few other 6 series tractors he does most everything with. I'm looking for something in that time era mainly because parts availability and easy of maintnance. 40k isnt do able at the present time only farmin 120acres right now I would love to have a 7120 or 7240 but can't justify it at the present time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

do you really need a tractor that big to farm small acrage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

I need atleast a 100hp tractor. For pulling my cultivator, disc, and planter. I am slowly gaining ground well it seems as if. I want a tractor that is multifunctional and that will still be functional with my growth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I looked @ our local equipment flyer, and it seems that everything from a 966 to 1466 are all about the same price.  For maybe $500-$1000 more, you can get quite a bit more tractor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

How old and what are you willing to spend? We have run a lot of older stuff including a 1066, but if you are going to use something from the 70s era in that size, we have found the 10006 and 13006 Deutz, both 2 and FWA to be better than most.We still have 7 of them and they are pretty easy to work on and don't drink much. A clean one with no issues goes for under $10K usually and some will only bring $5K.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I hope you don't think I am a crack pot.   But, the only thing to think about is profit. I have farmed strict no-till for 19 years, You do not need much equipment. I have a sprayer and reworked corn planter.  This equipment only needs a 90 hp tractor.  I have cow manure, Plus hay land and I haven't purchased any fert for 29 years. My 140 acres of corn will avg about 125 bu on 89 day.  I farm land all within 1 mile of the great cooler, Lake Mich.  I hope you are able to make money farming, so please do not think about equipment and focus on profit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Farmer 46...I agree with your assertion that profit should be the focus of his decisions. But I want to know where you're located at. I'm wondering if maybe a little nitrogen in your program and a little longer season corn wouldn't benefit you. Cow manure is great for supplying phosphorous and some potassium...but it doesn't supply a tremendous amount of nitrogen. And even though Lake Michigan keeps your Springs cooler...it also keeps your Falls warmer. It would seem that your length of season should be similar to someone located maybe a 100 miles farther east than you happen to be located.

0 Kudos