cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Advisor

Loup Monitors

Have any of you guys had anything to do with the Monitors from these people.  In particular, I am interested in the blocked head and seed counting one.  Tell me more if you can. Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
infire
Frequent Contributor

Re: Loup Monitors

I purchased a Loup II drill monitor last year, have it on tandem JD750's works perfect, never planted that accurate of pop before. sensors in seed tube & shaft sensor is all I have.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

Come on you guys.  150 people viewed this thread. Some one must have a different opinion or some experience with them. I am considering writing the check.

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

Well, I thought I replied.  Maybe it is lost in space somewhere.  We have a Loup monitor on a Great Plains 30 ft drilll. To be honest I am not pleased, I'm just not sure if the problem is the monitor or the fluted meters.   Population counts are erratic.  I am suspecting the problem is relating to the fluted meter as much as the monitor.

Son-in-law runs it more than I do.  I plant most of the corn, he plants most of the beans.  We are thinking changes in humidity (our beans are heavily treated), how full the box is, speed, roughness of the ground, sign of the moon (OK, not seriously) , all affect how the beans flow through and the monitor is counting that.  We also suspect, after talking to the company, that perhaps the problem is with the sample.  Let's throw some imaginary numbers out for an example, because I don't know what real life ones would be.

Let's say the monitor samples for 5 seconds and if it counts 10 beans in 5 seconds at 5 MPH it is 200,000 population (remember, these are imaginary numbers just to prove a point)

1....2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....0....1....2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....0

If that 5 seconds is from the beginning of 3 to the beginning of 13 it works. If you are using esets planting corn that works. But the fluted meter is not consistent.  It is more like

Usiing that same time span for the sample it counts 13 seeds, 30% higher population.  Depending upon when the 5 second sample is taken the results can vary widely.  We suspect the monitor is counting correctly, but the fluted meters have enough variability to make the it look inconsistent.If we were using a vacuum meter that gave a consistent drop we suspect the count would be more accurate.

Keep in mind this is entirely the result of too much time setting behind a steering wheel thinking up possibilities.  In the field we don't see that wide a variation.  It is not corn planter perfect, but it isn't bad.  So we have had to try and figure out "OK, if we are planting xxx population but seeing a varying answer on the monitor .. why?"

Would I have chosen the Loup monitor?  I'm not sure.  It is what came on the drill and we haven't been displeasd enough to replace it.  But I'm not sure I am pleased enough to buy another.  SIL spends more tiime with it and he would probably suggest looking closely at others before deciding.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

When you say fluted meter, what do you mean.  I would have thought it was a straight through type of infrared beam.  How would it be on wheat and barley and fertilizer?

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

Re: fluted meter

I guess the proper term is fluted feed cup. Think of it as a wide gear that you slide in and out of the seed flow to regulate the rate.

I haven't found a picture of one any better than this from the University of Tennessee

It is from an article about setting them, http://forages.tennessee.edu/Page%204-%20Switchgrass%20Adjusting%20and%20Calibrating%20a%20Drill.htm...

Ah!  Here we go.  You'll have to open a Great Plains brochure in a pdf file, http://www.greatplainsmfg.com/products/hddrill/152025ft10HD.pdf  it shows their fluted feed cup

Gotta run, I'll try and come back later

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Mike - my Air Cart has a very similar thing to the picture but is about 4 inches in diameter with flutes as shown.  Home made thing of course. Are you suspicious the meter is what is giving the irregular seed deposits, could it be air flow (in my case). What do you think.

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

I think at the right speed in beans and wheat it doesn't make a lot ot difference.  At a lower population, or a very slow speed I think it might be an issue.  But I think what happens is it creates an inconsistency in the seed flow that throws off the monitor.  Since it is not 1...2...3...4...5 but 1.2.3...........4.5 the monitor varies too much in it's count.

I don't lke the fluted meter, but haven't seen anything yet I like any better for my use.  SI Belt meters do a much better job in beans IF they are not too big.  But if the beans are too large the belt meters wll not feed them.  The last I knew they are not recommended for wheat

0 Kudos