cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Massey-Deer story from last night

I stuck this on facebook today, but thought some of you could relate...

Yesterday, I was working up a field with the new tractor and a rototiller, when all of a sudden, it shut itself off. It was about 8pm and still light enough to read, so I got out the huge owner's manual and tried to determine why it wouldn't run. I figured out how to get a screen on the dash to read out diagnostic stuff and it told me that the tractor had an "error code 2-14". As I was reading through the book trying to find a list of error codes, a small crowd of deer started to gather around the machine. I think that watching this disabled tractor was more interesting than whatever else they had going on, after all, this is Hesperia, and hunting season is a long way off.  I determined that the list of error codes was safely under lock and key only at approved Massey Fergusen dealers as you can never trust an owner with an error code. Who knows, they might jerry rig a fix, or even worse, might actually make a proper fix without dealer intervention! The deer were close up now and I could see they were amused and some of them seemed to be (could it be?) even placing bets on whether the tractor was going to work or not. I thought that maybe the tractor had sucked some air from the tank, after all, I had just gone down a steep hill and the tank, which holds about 100 gallons, was only reading about 10% full. As the tractor was at the bottom now and almost level, I thought it might be worth a try to try restarting it, on the possibility that it would re-prime with fuel and go. When I cranked the starter, the only effect was the deer backed up a few paces and appeared to be recalculating the odds. After a minute, I tried again and still nothing. I decided to try one last time and if that didn't work, I would have to take the "walk of shame" through the gauntlet of deer and go home. This time, it roared to life, and the crowd of deer slowly dispersed, grumbling no doubt that the show was over. I drove it home and put about 90 gallons in it to top it off, and ran it until about 10pm with no more incidents. So I guess that 10% of a fuel tank will probably get you an hour or so on flat land, but not in these hills.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Massey-Deer story from last night

good story. I enjoyed it.

Mike

0 Kudos
Advisor

Ya good story.  I was going to suggest disconnecting the switch under the seat.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Good Story, thats another reason why i enjoy farming, just being able to enjoy everything that nature gives us. I sometimes also find myself wondering what animals are thinking as i pass by.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

This tractor is a lot quieter than my older ones and it doesn't seem to scare the deer as much as I have often got within 20-30 yards of them. One thing funny I noticed as I was watching the deer and reading the manual was that the deer seem to prefer eating dandelions to alfalfa, just like our cows. They would walk around to each clump and chomp off the flowers. There are wild turkeys out there also with the toms all puffed up and trying to impress the hens. It is really entertaining to see a bunch of toms with their tails out like a sail during a gusty day as they are straining to stay on their feet against the wind! You are right, seeing all this is a great fringe benefit and it even happens while we work sometimes!

0 Kudos