cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

My RAM Pickup To Get New Software - Thanks, VW

Initial news releases indicate that my 2016 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel is going to get a software upgrade soon.  I wonder what it will do to my fuel economy and power?  I pulled a trailer about 1500 miles this week and the PU handled it easily.

RAM has been building and parking the pickups waiting for the government to release them.  Some have alleged there is a little bit of VW in the RAM software so Chrysler is trying to get it all worked out.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
runholt
Friend

Re: My RAM Pickup To Get New Software - Thanks, VW

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel and concur that the engine-transmission combination is great for towing, but the cushy coil spring ride is too soft to feel secure when pulling my 28' travel trailer at higher speeds.  Inexpensive auxiliary air bags for the rear can be put on, and would be obligatory for a 1500 mile excursion with my trailer.  I kept accurate records for my first year of ownership and averaged 22.3 mpg overall, 8 mpg better than my experience with a 2007 gas Chevy 1500 used about the same way.  

I had no problems whatsoever with the truck until a NOX sensor failed at 46000 miles, followed by a second sensor on the same side of the engine 800 miles later.  Both the dealer and I thought the sensors would be covered by the 100 K engine warranty.  NOT SO!  However the dealer did cover the first failure.  Cost of replacing each sensor is over $500 including labor. There is a second pair of sensors on the opposite side of the engine that I now worry about. Full warranty of the pollution system would make sense on this new engine particularly when they can't sell any more of these trucks until they get the pollution system modified to the Fed's satisfaction...

The Wall St. Journal recently reported that Chrysler could be under the gun for more than four billion dollars with the EPA if they don't fix their software for this engine.  Chrysler does claim their fix is near and that fuel economy will not be compromised.  I did see a reduction in DEF consumption over time as my truck mileage increased that might be related to the software glitch or the failing sensors.  Still, this truck is the cleanest and quietest diesel I have ever owned.  It doesn't smell, smoke, or leave a residue on the exhaust pipe.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: My RAM Pickup To Get New Software - Thanks, VW

Thanks for the info on your truck.  I'm pretty happy with mine, too.

The DEF gauge is showing full all the time, but I don't worry about it.  They can fix it next time it's in.  The tank holds two of the jugs so I just keep it more or less full.  The jug sits in the side compartment of the box, which for what I do I really like.

I hadn't seen the WSJ article on the potential fine.  That should get their attention.

0 Kudos