Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

My next new combine

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: My next new combine

Saw this last January at the AgConnect show, seemed like a massive machine.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't get it.

So, I only grew-up on a small farm, and admittedly never been around BTOs during harvest.  But, I thought the idea of a grain cart was that the ability to dump on the run with the combine, and keep the combine moving non-stop.

The downside of a grain cart was the compaction from it's single axle design.

If this thing is going to be going all over the field all of the time, I'd want at least the grain cart part of it on tracks. But, would rather have a traditional seperate grain cart and combine for greater productivity.

If they want to change the configuration of a combine, how about steeper straw walkers, and then slinging the engine under the sieves?

I would think there might be some seperation advantages of steeper straw walkers, or rotors for that matter.

Maybe you'd have to put an opposed engine under there, but advantage would be moving the Center of Gravity down and back.

I've heard of a combine that pulls a baler to bale straw or corn cobs at the same time.  Never seen one in action.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think they still will use a grain cart to shuttle to the trucks.   I think it is more a way to get the combine to have a bigger capacity, to make it across larger fields.

Remember, when a combine goes back & forth, the unload auger is above unharvested grain.   Taking 12 or more rows in 200 BPA corn, requires a lot of capacity, to get to the far end of a big field.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My big idea for combine design improvement is a turret type unloading auger. Centered in the tank and long enough to unload off either side or even the front. This would address the problem of long rows as well, since you could unload going both ways. The old bastards that can't turn to see a the auger, as they are now, could even unload straight out the front.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I wonder why they don't have dual unload augers?  One on each side.   Anymore, the cabs are centered in most combines, why not have dual unload augers?   WIth all the electronic controls and safeties on them anymore, it should be simple to come up with safety switches so that only one auger can be unfolded at a time, and only the auger that is out, would turn.  Most grain tanks in combines are flat-bottomed, with cross augers to feed the unload auger.   How hard would it be, to just reverse them, to feed the other unload auger.   I'm thinking hydraulic drive, with electric solenoid controls.   The feed augers spin one way when the left auger is unfolded, the other way, when the right auger is unfolded.   I would think that would be more practical, and cost-effective than a combine that hinges in the middle, and has to haul 1000 bu around.

0 Kudos