cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Advisor

N6 wind

I seem to recall someone on here sometime ago thinking about making an arrangement to close the fan off slightly when lifting the comb on the corners to stop it blowing out the grain.  Any thoughts on this.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bundy bear
Senior Reader

Re: N6 wind

Check the combine forum boodles Smiley Wink 

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

Not having much luck there lately but it might prompt somebody.  How are you going.

0 Kudos
bundy bear
Senior Reader

Not too bad old mate. I imagine you have a pretty nice wheat crop there this year? Are the hoppers going to be an issue there, or more so further south?

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

Surprise, surprise, some of them are not as good as they should be.  Too much rain.  Canola looks a bit **bleep**ty and drowned earlier in the season. Some extremely weathered damaged wheat in central qld.  The hoppers are hatching about 150 miles NW from here but nothing in the air yet.  We probably have some hail to look forward to as well.  What's it like over there?

0 Kudos
djsinseia
Frequent Contributor

Just as the head gets through the crop - i assume you are in corn - grab the throttle and pull it back to drop your engine  speed about 200 rpms.  This drops the fan speed and prevents grain from being blown over the back end as the shoe empties out.

I never really did this on soybeans though.

good luck.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

Bit late getting back mate. I am trying to avoid up and down throttling, of course but that might be one way around it.  By the way, I recently installed a linear actuator on the throttle lever on the injection pump to do the work.  It is controlled by a double sided toggle switch attached to the stick so there is no  reaching for buttons.  It is along side the switch to activate the auger when unloading on the go.  Works well.

0 Kudos
gough whitlam
Advisor

Just reading your post again.  I take it you also believe grain is being blown out on the corners when the sieves are not loaded, is that right.

0 Kudos
djsinseia
Frequent Contributor

Sorry -

Been in my combine all weekend and didn't get a chance to see your posts......

Yes, the idea was that as the shoe empties out, it would blow the last bit of grain over the end of the chaffer.  Cutting the throttle at the end of the row seemed to cut the air blast and help to eliminate this.

I still run my R65 that way.

0 Kudos