cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

New Holland CR 960 w/optional air compressor ?

Just bought an 04 C R 960 and suspect the optional air compressor is not functioning properly.  Below the back end of the muffler is what looks like a pressure regulator with several air lines connected. Once every minute or two it goes off like a machine gun and exhausts air out the bottom for a few seconds. It is very loud and very annoying.  Anyone know what is going on here?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: New Holland CR 960 w/optional air compressor ?

Would have to be the regulator isn't cutting the compressor out. The noise you hear Is the pop off valve. It's pumping and pumping and never taking a break. Would assume its a normal air governor just like you'd find on a big truck. 20 bucks max
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What's the difference in a air regulator and air governor. I've had a couple go out on trucks and can't bring myself to call them governors.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Buck, as far as I know, they're the same thing. Had one go out when I was getting a state inspection on a trailer, had to drag it out of their shop and walk for PartsSmiley Wink
I guess regulators tell it what to do and governors tell You what to do!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

First time I had one go out I had a heck of a time describing it to the guy at the truck parts counter. After doing industrial maintenance for fifteen years I've probably replace a few hundred pneumatic regulators.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Are you saying the regulator is supposed to disable the compressor when sufficient pressure builds up?  The New Holland shop guys seem to think it is just supposed to behave this way.  Granted, the compressor is a rare option and they don't have much exposure to it. I would think they would be exposed to heavy duty trucks enough to understand the system.

0 Kudos