cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: New member looking for haybine advice

If my machine is repeatedly clogging, I should adjust them outwards some then? I'm assuming I should also adjust out for "thick" crops? I'm mainly doing just grass if that helps.

Also, my brother isn't completely convinced that the NH or Hesston is the better machine. First, which has the better drive system, the Deere or the Hew Holland? How available are parts for a Hesston? Thanks again.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The crimpers should be as close as you can get without touching when empty.  If they are clogging, something else is wrong.  They are spring-loaded, and should open up automatically as the crop conditions require.  When you clog, it is usually because you hit an anthill, or chunk of old hay or something that causes the crop to pile up on the platform, and then try and go through the rollers in a big wad, instead of an even mat.  For just grass, as long as the sicklebar cuts cleanly so that it goes through the header smoothly, plugs are few and far between.  If you see a spot where grass seems to be piling up, that is where you will start having problems. 

I'm not going to say one way or the other whether or not the Hesston or NH is a 'better' machine.  My experience is that the NH will cut the hay faster without plugging, but the Hesston is a simpler machine that requires less maintanence in general, and is simpler and cheaper to repair when the time comes.  As long as you have a good dealer, Hesston parts should be no problem.  I have a neighbor with one of the very first Hesston mower/conditioners made, and he is keeping it going just fine.  I think the bigger problem is dealers don't keep many parts on hand for them other than normal wear parts, but availability hasn't been a problem except that he sometimes had to wait a day or two for something to get shipped from the warehouse.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I kind of figured that about the parts. My brother is an ag/diesel mechanics student at UNOH. He claims NH drive systems are junk and Hesstons are hard to get parts for. Didn't make much sense to me since everyone I know uses New Hollands and I know the market will kill anything that isn't up to snuff. I'm a full time student at MSU and I work part time at TSC and we carry some wear parts (guards, knives, bars, etc.) for haybines, mostly New Holland stuff. I like the fact that I could get parts for it there because it's open all weekend. The AGCO/NH dealer in town is only open a couple hous on saturday and closed sundays. Being in Michigan, I can't plan on the weather so I cut when the weather permits, and that may be on a Sunday. I wish I could find more Hesstons in my area, but they don't seem very common. I appreciate all the input. No more questions as of now, but I keep you posted on what I do. If everything goes right, I may bring home a 469 soon.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Got a chance to chat with a neighbor who does a lot of hay, currently has both a Hesston and a NH swather.  He more or less mirrored my opinion:  The NH cuts faster, the Hesston is easier to fix.  He also commented that you must follow the maintanence guidelines on the NH sickle drive carefully, or you will regret it.  Use good grease (not bargain-bin stuff) and follow the schedule, and he thought the sickle drive would last longer than the Hesston's between rebuilds.  He also commented that the rebuild was more complicated, and more expensive, though.  The Hesston basically has 3 bearings, and 2 ball joints in its whole drive system, and they are all pretty easy to get to.  Another neighbor has an older JD unit, and from what I can tell, doesn't need any more in repairs than anyone else, but he can't cut as fast, either.  Here's a hint if you do wind up with a JD:  Some MacDon machines from a few years back basically use a JD sickle drive.  If you have a local MacDon dealer, they may be able to get parts for the JD through them.  I was told that some of the parts even have the same part number cast into them.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Do you know how often they need to be rebuilt? I kind of wish I could find some more Hesstons now. I like the idea of a faster cutting machine though.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Fast man, we too have a small hay acreage. Was cutting with a sickle bar mower and pulling a conditioner. Like you we were looking for a haybine. Also bleed green. Trouble is most of the JD we looked at had the wobble box mounting brackets welded on. A couple were even broke when we looked at them. Thought it looked like a weak spot. Ended up buying a 411 NH. Excellent machine but were not many made. Never knew that at the time. Thought with NH there would be no problems with parts. Well, there weren't many 411s made and the parts are not interchangeable with other models so the dealer doesn't stock many. Still love the machine, when you go out to cut hay you never stop. One thing might be a problem for you. We pull it with an old 706. Not sure you could pull it with a 2020.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

About every 1200-1500 acres I put about $60 in bearings in the sickle drive.  About every 3rd time I do that, I have to replace one of the $80 ball & socket joints.  This is in addition to the usual knife sections, guards, etc that are probably the same on all machines.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I never really looked at the brackets on the 1209s I looked at. The most common ailment I saw was the tine bars would be rubbing on the track that makes them turn. Not that big of a deal, but the first I looked at was really cobbled together on that side of the reel. I don't think I could run a 411 with a 2020 either. A 706 is a 6 cylinder 76hp diesel and my 2020 is only a 4cyl 55hp gas. I only have one pair of hydraulic remotes, too. I'd love a discbine, but maybe in the future when I get a bigger tractor. I do see several 411s on TractorHouse though.  JD stuff has always been good to us so it was a natural place to start, but in the end I want to get the right machine for me.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Okay, that's not as bad as I thought it would be. 1200-1500 acres would take me quite a while to rack up, too, when I only have about 25-30 acres of first cutting. I learned a lot from you folks and I'm much obliged.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I use a 65 hp tractor on a 479.

0 Kudos