cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: New member looking for haybine advice

Last year we used our '57 JD 520 to operate the 489 we used; it's about 38hp. The 469 I wanted to look at sold just before I called the place. I've since found a couple 479s (one in great shape), a 488 and a Hesston 1090.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

FWIW, I  have pulled my Hesston 1160 with an IH 685.  The 1160 has a 14 foot cut, with rubber-on-steel conditioning rolls.  The 685 is rated at 62 or 63 PTO HP.  It worked just fine, I could pull it 5+ MPH as long as I didn't have too much of a hill to climb.  Where I live, we have steep enough hills that pulling the machine up the hill actually takes more power than running the sickle & conditioning rolls.  If the ground were level, and you didn't get in too big a hurry, I would think a 50 HP would get you by, but 55+ would be better, for a machine similar to mine.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

My fields are generally pretty flat. My biggest kind of has a rolling hill through it, but nothing huge. The 520 ran that 489 pretty well. It worked it hard, but it got the job done. It also raked and baled it all. It's a wide front and is great for raking with a 5 bar rake. The tractor had been sitting next to a manure pile for several years when we got it. Fresh plugs, gas and a battery and we drove it home. After my 2020 is done being rebuilt, the 520 will get done. In the years we've had it, we have only put the plugs, battery and a new sediment screen in it. This year it looks like it will need a generator/ electrical work though. I'm off to look at a very nice 479 in the morning. I think it will follow me home if it looks as good in person as it does in pictures.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I went and looked at the 479 this morning and bought it for $2800 which I think is a steal. It's in excellent condition. The rolls are about perfect, barely an cracks even. The seller kept the cylinder though. After a cylinder and lines, I still won't be into it any more than what it is worth so I'm satisfied. Thanks to all who commented and offered advice. I greatly appreciate it!

Here it is, if the link doesn't work I can put up pictures for anyone who wants to see:

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/2329964341.html

0 Kudos
Advisor

Sounds like you did OK.  I paid $3100 for mine 3 years ago.  All it needed was a new knife that I gpt for $135.00.

0 Kudos