cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swwisc
Contributor

Oliver 252 disk problem

Jump to solution

The nut on the front left gang of an Oliver 252 disk keeps loosening up.  Tried putting a square nut on the axle but that still only slowed the process down.  Implement dealers don't know the answer....anyone here that can help me with this???  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swwisc
Contributor

Re: Oliver 252 disk problem

Jump to solution

Will give the Locktite a try.  Have use it before with good luck.  Thanks for the reminder and will let you know how it works out.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Put a pipe on the wrench you`re tightening it with, to get it really tight and use a hammer and chisel to get it "a little tighter", double nut it, if you have the room.  If only 1 nut wrap aronud of baling wire on the thread next to the nut. If you want to fix it right get a dura-washer tightener from Shoup http://www.shoupparts.com/SH510321/

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

I assume the nut is backing off?

Our disk has a flat piece of metal under the nut, that you hammer over the flat after tightening, so it can't turn.

We once had an old disk, that had the arbor bolt break.  A new bolt was not available, so we decided to weld it.  We also found several other cracks, here and there, which we veed out, and also welded.  We put it together as soon as it got cool enough to handle with gloved hands, and tightened the nut pretty good.  When we got done, we could still hear it 'pop' as the bolt cooled.
That bolt has been there for years now, never worked loose, never broke again.  I think it is important to get the nut not just tight, but TIGHT.  Any 'wiggle' anywhere, will work it loose, and/or lead to bolt breakage.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Jump to solution

..could be your shaft is slightly bent. Maybe it doesn't tighten completely up, then works it loose. Most of those disc nuts require hundreds of pounds of torque to keep them tight...if you tighten it with a one inch air wrench it should be tight enough...

0 Kudos
swwisc
Contributor

Jump to solution

I saw the Shoup solution for loose nuts.  Have you or anyone you know tried those plates?  Do they really work?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

If you can't double nut it, try some red loctite on it next time. You might need some heat to get it off later, but should be OK.

0 Kudos
swwisc
Contributor

Jump to solution

Will give the Locktite a try.  Have use it before with good luck.  Thanks for the reminder and will let you know how it works out.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
swwisc
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the Locktite solution....it worked for both my and Dad's disks.  Appreciate the information.  Sorry for the late reply....long days and late nights getting planting done.

Steven B

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

No problem. I like using loctite where you want parts to stay together a long time, and it is hard to get to them, like flywheel bolts. Yes, I once had a flywheel come right off a crankshaft on a 130 hp tractor, where an in-duh-vidual had used an air wrench to" torque" the bolts during a clutch job a few months previous. Surprisingly, nothing was broken except for the last 2 or 3 bolts to come loose, and they broke off in the crank. It has been together for years now, but the bolts were properly torqued this time and loctite was added for insurance. BTW, a tractor with a loose flywheel doesn't work at all, but the starter still engaged and spun the flywheel quite nicely on this one.

0 Kudos
swwisc
Contributor

Jump to solution

I've used it before on my Ollie 1755.  The power steering cylinder has a cap with a 3/8 inch bolt to keep it on.  It kept coming loose so I finally talked to a local guy who worked on Ollies for some insight on solving this.  Told me to use some loctite on it...hasn't bothered ever since!!!  Thanks again.

0 Kudos