cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbneb
Contributor

Opinions on Planter Pro Row Cleaners

I was wondering if anyone has seen or has used these Planter Pro row cleaners.  I plant notill corn on corn so I am always loooking for a row cleaner that does a better job.  Right now I have fixed shark tooth row cleaners that do a fairly good job.  However after looking at this Planter Pro setup with the coulter and individual down pressure for each cleaner I think that might work very well.  Also from what I understand I can just take the shark tooths off my row cleaners and put them on this Planter Pro setup.  So if anyone has used these or is thinking about it, please let me know what you think about them.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Opinions on Planter Pro Row Cleaners

I have a White planter with a factory setup along the lines of the Planter Pros.  Not exactly the same, but should yield similar results.    Anyway, what I have are frame-mounted row cleaners instead of mounting on the row unit itself (saves a lot of wear on the paralell linkages & associated parts).  It consists of a center coulter, with  a Martin finger wheel on either side of it.  You adjust a spring for down-pressure, and it rides on a sort of guage wheel on each Martin wheel to run at a consistent depth.  I have had excellent results no-tilling into wheat, bean, or dryland corn stubble.  I flood irrigate my corn, so I knock the ridges down on that before I plant, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in irrigated corn as well.  The trick is to get the center coulter to run exactly where the opener disks run, and about 1/2 to 2/3 of their depth.  This parts the stubble, and starts the slot, which prevents stubble from hairpinning down into the slot, and also makes penetration of the opener disks easier & more uniform, especially in hard ground.  It is important to have the finger wheels running in relation to the coulter in such a way that they 'stretch' the trash that is laying over the row.  This makes it much easier for the coulter to cut it, which prevents hairpinning of the stubble.  The 'guage wheel' things on the martin wheels are the trick to making this work in uneven ground, and differing field conditions.  This is important to me as I plant some no-till, and some minimum-till, with an occasional field of conventional till thrown in, and don't run enough acres to justify two planters.

Originally, this had smooth disks, which the first owner of the planter replaced with notched disks, which I replaced with the Martin wheels.  The smooth disks were only good in conventional tillage, for making a furrow.  Notched were OK for minimum till, but to really work in no-till required the finger wheels.  I don't know if the Martin's are any better or worse than any others, but my local dealer carries them on hand, and they seem to work fine.

0 Kudos