cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Pickup Accessory Buyers Guide Wish List

I'm thinking of getting a new pickup truck this fall.  For selfish reasons, I'd like to see a buyer's guide for pickups accessories.  What accessories would you like to see reviewed?

I'm thinking of a tonneau cover and wonder what the pros and cons of various models are.

How about bed liners?  Are some better than others?

Woudl you rather have the OEM GPS or would you rather add your own?  I'm worried about a truck I keep for a long time having an obsolete GPS, so I'm wondering about adding my own which I can change out later.

What accessories would you like to see addressed?

Tool boxes?

Equipment fuel tanks?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Advisor

Re: Pickup Accessory Buyers Guide Wish List

good for you.   they are way too expensve for me though.  never saw one up close but i like the storage in the bed sides that dodge ads show.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

A front bumper that doesn't have that plastic crap on it that gets torn off by the first corn stalk it sees.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You get a truck yet.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I'm going to be looking very hard in the next few weeks.  Haven't started very much yet.

I've usually been a GM driver, but am wondering about the Ram 1500 with diesel engine.  Any thoughts on that one?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Jim - I have had a Dodge with a diesel and 2 fords - The dodge was - like a 93 - 3/4 ton - when they first come out with the Cummins in it - what a dog it was - great truck but needed 2 miles to pass somebody - like I said - that was when they first come out - The first Ford had the power stroke 7.3 in it - what a great truck - all around - it was a super duty 350 4 door dually - then I still have the 08 dually with the 6.4 - motor is ok but don't like the way the springs are on  it - Fuel mileage really sucks on the 6.4 - I personally think the diesels are way over rated - they are good if you need it to pull a big trailer - but to just ding around - I rather have my 2010, 350 ford with the gasser in it - I work guess that the diesel would cost you an extra 10 grand over the gas -  Everytime I fill up the 08 with fuel - always , always - some how there is diesel fuel on the dang handle ! then Have to try and clean hands before I get back in . Since we sold the 35 foot camper - I will probably never own another diesel in a pickup - Another thing is winter - I for the most part get along OK but when it really gets cold ( minus zero ) for a few days ou need to plug them in - the gasser has always fired up ok .

I did drive my B-I-L's new 1/2 ton GMC = VERY nice truck !!!!!!!!  Pricey - yes - but boy it drives nice and has a great interior , to nice for a farm truck  - lol   

One truck We had came with a line a bed - that lasted 1 day in the spring - then pulled it out and got rid of it - everything slides very bad in it -  I use a rubber mat in all of mine - really like that .

I do like the brake contoller that is factor in the fords - just plug and play - no adding after maket stuff - I would recommond that option near the top - if you pull a trailer . Back up camera is also nice when hooking up a trailer or wagon , Wheel flars or mad flaps - really saves the lower paint - the 08 and 10 do have a ploy coating to help out .

Keep us up to date , Were going to move the 08 dually very soon - looking at the GMC Dinali (spelling ?? suburben  type -- btw the 08 only has 13 K on it - lol

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've been looking myself. (Factory job going real well for a couple years now, no way would I use my farm income ona pickup). I like the ram eco-diesle. I've been borrowing my dad's truck for a few years. I think I will do enough pulling to justify a bigger truck. I'm looking at a 3500 ram Cummins, single rear wheel.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Today, I drove a GMC Sierra 1500, F150, Toyota Tundra and Dodge 1500.

The Dodgge had the air ride suspension and rode the best, with the F150 not far behind.  The Toyota was better than the GMC.  For many farmers, this is an unfair comparison, because I have a couple of beater trucks for the field - the truck I'm looking at is a go-to-meeting truck and will not likley ever have a heavy load or pull a heavy trailer.

The 3.0L EdoDiesel of Dodge did pretty well.  The engine that really impressed me was the 2.7L Ford.  The other two had V-8s in them and drove just as you would expect an old-style V8 to drive.

Other than that, it's probably pretty much a matter of personal taste.  My suspicion is they are all probably pretty good trucks, so I might as well pick on personal preference.

We're a GM family and I have had bad luck with Fords, but as things stand right now I am going to look at the Dodge 3.0L diesel with air suspension and the Ford F150.

This truck is likely to be around for a while and I'm going to spend some money on it.  I could get a 2015 and am actually looking at 2016s.  I think I am going to in to town when it rains in the next few days and seriously speck them out and start getting down to dollars and cents.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Jim - HAve you got that Shinny new Dodge home yet ???? btw  What color did you get ??

MAn I need to get out more - I didn't know that had air ride .

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Buying Decision

I was all set to order a Ram to be paid for this year and delivered next, when my CPA said I had to have possession this year. So, I had to find a truck already built. I ended up with a Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 4X4 Quad Cab with 3.0 EcoDiesel engine. Cargo Box White exterior (not my choice) Light interior Most everything on it. Should know Monday if it is a go - they still have to nail it down. After talking with a good mechanic friend and the Dodge service manager, I changed my mind from the EcoDiesel to the 3.6L gas, but as mentioned above, I had to buy one built so ended up with the diesel, anyway. The service manager said that for short trips where the engine didn't get up to speed, one might have some problems with the regen system. So, now that I'm getting the diesel, I'll have to make sure it gets periodic "blow the cobs out" trips that will get the engine fully up to temp. Got the Quad Cab because I don't want a big, long truck, but do like a lockable space inside for security of items. The seats will fold up and let you put things right on the floor. Good. Also, the Quad cab will just barely fit in the garage but the crew cab definitely won't, and I want this inside. I'll give you another impression after I drive it a bit.
0 Kudos