cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Pickup changes on the way

You're going to apparently be getting better gas mileage out of your trucks in the near future. The President's adopting some new efficiency standards for the next few years' models of light-, medium- and heavy-duty trucks. A few of the areas where changes are taking place:

• Engine and powertrain efficiency improvements
  • Aerodynamics
  • Weight reduction
  • Improved tire rolling resistance
  • Hybridization
  • Automatic engine shutdown
  • Accessory improvements (water pumps, fans, auxiliary power units, air conditioning, etc.). 

So, which one of these do you think will be the most practical and feasible? I know Ford's taken some flack for their move to aluminum for their F-150 bodies. What will work best on your place?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Pickup changes on the way

What will it cost?

It's interesting to me that while we have emissions controls and so forth, we don't seem to do anything about enforcing what we have on the books, for the most part.  In Europe, there are very strict tests but are there any here?  My guess is that if we hit emmissions hard, we'd hit cheap old vehicles operated by poor people and there's be a huge hue and cry.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Pickup changes on the way

Accessories. Why not electric variable speed water pumps? Same goes for a/c pumps.
0 Kudos