cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Planter question...

I have a newer JD vacuum planter with a 30 cell disc. It didn't do a very good job last year so I want to upgrade to the Flowmax 40 or Precision E-sets. Which is the better way to go? Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Planter question...

I have a 16 row JD vacuum planter. It only has one vacuum pump and we were told that you needed two "blowers" (Vacuum) to go to the 40 cell plates. We didn't want to do that, so the service manager told us to check the wear on the single blower "fan blade."  It looked new so we tried it out last year with no problems. We also notice a visible improvement in seed spacing.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

p.s. We went the JD route, not the e-sets. Don't know if that makes a difference.....

0 Kudos
Advisor

Very few people who have gone to esets express regret.  I'll put my 1770 against anyone's and not be embarassed.  The really nice thing is you throw in whatever seed size and weight and drive.  No constant messing with the vac settings to make it work.

If you go to esets, spend a little more money and put the Bullseye seed tubes in at the same time. They will make more of a difference in your spacing than esets will.

My planter is set up a little strange for SE IL.  We have eset's, Bullseye's, rebounders, and cotton closers

Image2209.jpg

We don't no-till much, but here is one example

0 Kudos
Contributor

We use E-set meters in both of our planters and have no complaints. My neighbor ordered a new JD planter with the Promax 40 plates and he said that was the worst stand of corn he has ever had. The next year he put E-sets in. With E-sets you don't have the double elimator to mess with and adjust all the time. E-sets usually run 16-18 inches of vac. Your JD bean plates still work in your meter.

0 Kudos