cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deere1742

Plugging disc blades

Anybody have any suggestions to remedy plugging on disc blades especially behind tractor wheels.  I realize it would be better to wait untill things dry out a bit more, but that isn't always possible.  Read somewhere about placing loops of chain around disc spools?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Advisor

Re: Plugging disc blades

You said it yourself, it's too wet.  Running a disc in wet ground causes compaction, at least around here.  I know it's hard to do but find something else to do for a few days.  I'm chomping at the bit to cut beans but the ground is too soft and the stems are green.  In 32 years of farming on my own I've never had such a late start to harvest.   7" of rain in August and 6" in September.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Rain, wet, muddy???   What's that?

My disk just slides on top of the dust.

0 Kudos
Advisor

How wet is it?  The ground under the fallen bean leaves is wet enough to make mudball.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I tried placing loops of worn out roller chain just as you described, but it will wear through your spool in no time at all.  It also gouges into your frame and weakens the structure.  The only thing we did to remedy the problem is, you guessed it, wait a couple of days for things to dry a bit.  Also, if you are clogging up, be certain your scrapers are adjusted properly.  It is amazing how an out of place scraper can make a world of difference.  Good luck with what ever you decide, and be thankful for the moisture.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I wonder if a short piece of 3 or 4 inch tile might help?

Jim W

0 Kudos