cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Poll: What's the next big change in machinery?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Re: Poll: What's the next big change in machinery?

I am not thinking any big changes it will stay the same. I still won't be able to afford it! LOL

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

I think the technology will get easier to use. We have a tractor that has oodles of features and can calculate fuel used per amount of work done and acres covered, but you need the huge book and a co-pilot to make it work. It should be easier and intuitive, with a touch screen, or maybe just come with a decent laptop that ports into the tractor, but you can unplug and take home. What is another $1000 added to a $200,000 tractor? Right now, I have lots of capability that is going to waste, like having an expensive computer that you just use to play solitaire. I do not want to take the time needed to figure out the boneheaded monitors that some lazy engineers came up with. If the manufacturers can't make it easy to use, they should also offer a basic cheaper tractor that just works and uses the operator for a brain.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I'm with simpler, as in simpler to use.  The machinery itself may have more electronics, and features, but they will become easier to use. 

For example, there may be a computerized grain loss monitor in the combine that measures loss, FM, and damaged kernels that takes more computer power than the space shuttle, but in the combine cab, the monitor may just say 'too many cobs, tighten sieve?'  You will then click the 'OK' button, and the combine will do the recommended adjustment automatically, on the go.

Also, there will probably be some sort of wireless communication, to notify the dealer/repairman when something isn't working properly, kind of a wireless code reader.  This could lead to farmer embarassment, though, if the combine called ahead into town that the farmer got stuck in a mudhole, or forgot to fold back the unload auger before going by the utility pole.

I predict that to be a general industy trend.

Now, for me personally, and this may or may not turn into a sort of machinery niche market, I want simpler, period.  A basic, heavy built, rugged machine with only the features needed to make it operate efficiently.  Make maintanence easy, and common repairs simple (can anyone name the tractor that had the feature where the farmer himself could replace the clutch, without splitting the tractor, and with only common tools?)  Put the hydraulic pump on the outside, where I can get to it, and give me mechanical linkages to things, instead of wires and solenoids.   Syncro shift, with a syncro shuttle is OK.   Contrary to popular belief, there still are some farmers out there who like to do all the repairs themselves that they can.

0 Kudos
hardwayfarmer
Veteran Contributor

You could replace the clutch on a Massey Harris 44 without splitting the tractor.  The shaft from the clutch housing to the transmission was exposed, with a double roller chain coupler similar to a combine head coupler.  Undo the chain, loosen the front engine mounting bolts, remove the rear engine mounting bolts, and jack up the rear of the engine high enough to remove the clutch housing.  The tractor frame was a one-piece casting from the front of the transmission forward, and the engine was dropped into the casting.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I didn't know that.  I learned something again, today!

I was referring to some in the Belarus line, where even some of the big 4wd machines coud have the clutch swapped out.  If you were the ambitious sort, you could even do it at the end of the field, with common tools, although all fasteners were metric.

0 Kudos
rawhide
Advisor

i can't believe this question. how about a bunch of jd putt-putts that you could replace the clutch with a wrench and a screwdriver?

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I have often thought 300+ bushel grain tanks on combines are a waste of space with the popularity of grain carts.  Combines are at maximum size for road travel now.  Where do they get more capacity for productivity?  Maybe a smaller combine grain tank or the combine pulling a grain tank/cart with say 500 bushel or more capacity.  Then have this being able to be operated by either the combine operator or the tractor driver with a larger grain cart.  Or go the forage harvester route.  Have a long spout/chute so the combine unloading system can send the grain in a 270 degree pattern.  Without the need to be beefy enough to carry 20,000# or more of grain a combine could be made lighter and the grain tank space could be used for more threshing capacity.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I read an article recently that Kinze has made a 'driverless' grain cart.  It follows the combine at a set distance until either full, or if I remember right, the combine operator can also signal for it to go to the edge of the field, and wait for the truck.  The trucker then manually 'drives' it while unloading, sets it back to 'auto' and it goes back to follow the combine.

0 Kudos