cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Question on DMI field cultivator maintenance

I'm looking at buying a 1996 DMI Tigermate field cultivator which looks to be in good all around condition except for several of the shanks having developed some lateral slop at their pivot - mounting hole.  Parts books shows DMI uses two bushings in their shank mounting at a cost of $8.77 and $16.59 a piece at Case dealer.   Will new bushings take care of this slop or will I find excessive wear in shank holes requiring a much more expensive repair?  Are bushings standard sizes my local machine shop can cut for me?   Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Question on DMI field cultivator maintenance

Check Shoup`s spring catalog on page 76 Tigermate bushings $6 to$7. Check if the holes are egg shaped if not maybe they`re okay.  Maybe check with with new bushing to see if it fits snug. Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the tip BA.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

BA, do you have experience with this model?  I hate to start taking several of the shanks apart before I buy it to check for shank holes being worn out but I may ask the owner if he cares if I take one apart to check.  If you have had experience with this cultivator can you give me any kind of idea how often the holes get worn and egged shaped as opposed to the wear being confined to the two bushings.  Might make a big difference in how interested I am in this piece of equipment. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Hey dag, it depends on how they are maintained, how long they go before replacing the bushing. 960 jd has the same problems. I guess see how many have wiggle and buy accordingly.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Dag..the thing I would remember..is it's a 14-15 year old cultivator..and the place the shanks would wear the most is right in the wheel tracks of the tractor. Grab a few of them..and see if they wobble a bunch. I have an old 4600 Case/IH cultivator..and to tell you the truth..it's almost cheaper to buy a whole new shank unit..than it is to tear it apart, and re-build it. Especially if they didn't run shank protectors from the time it was new. It's all about how much you value your time.

0 Kudos