cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

R-50 or 7720?

I am looking at combines.  An '87 Gleaner R-50 with the air cooled Deutz engine and a '88 7720 Titan II Deere.  Both have the same hours,3800 but the Gleaner comes with a 20 foot head.  I have no knowledge or experience with either machine.  Which is the better machine?  The best deal?   Both dealers are equally good locally but the Agco dealer is 45 miles and the Deere dealer is 12 miles.  Any comments, suggestions, warnings, appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: R-50 or 7720?

i have a r-42 gleaner which i really like and have helped my neighbor work on his 7720 so here is my take. gleaner has less moving parts but the cab on the 0 series is the same as the m so i would look for a 2 series. also the used part market is way better for deeres. in soybeans its a toss-up but in corn the rotary i feel is better. my 42 has the deutz motor and i have had no problems but i have been told if it does prepare to dig deep in your pockets but i guess everything is like that now. hope this helps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Thanks Rawhide.  One reason for updating is for a better cab than my M2.  After 45 years of combining, 15 of them with an open air combine,  the dust is getting to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

i know what you mean. i had a F-2 for 20 years. my 42 has a good airtight cab. all it needs is a fridge

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

stay away from the air cooled deutz they have no power at all. the 7720 will handle beans alot better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

After riding in one the other day I've pretty much decided on the Deere.   Just wish I would have made a change years ago, but the dealer is a personal friend, so it's hard to do.

0 Kudos