cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Running new planter with older tractor

Anyone had any experiance matching new ISOBUS enabled planters to older tractors, in this case a '98 New Holland Genesis?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Running new planter with older tractor

I wish my old tractor was a '98. Hell, I wish my newest tractor was a '98.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm pulling a early eighties White 5100 behind a 72 Deere 4320. Does that compare. I think Jim Meade may have an even older tractor on similar age planter, if I remember correct.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

'87 tractor pulling 2000 planter.
0 Kudos
Frequent Visitor

Come on, give us a break, the planter Case 1230 is replacing a couple of Cyclo's that Noah didn't need anymore and the 98 tractor replaced a couple of Inters that I had in tandem. Besides I had off farm income then.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Waysim, we're not picking on you, just letting you know our setups. I think you're going to find out that there aren't to many contributors on this site that are addicted to new paint. Just a bunch of good ole boys that discuss the in and outs of agriculture with a twist of something new or marketing and an occasional joke or humorous story thrown in from time to time. We all raze each other from time to time, but for the most part it is all just good ole boy farm talk. If no one is answering your question, it might be that no one has anything similar and we don't want to feed you full of BS or mislead you.

Your best bet on new equipment advice would probably come from ECIN. I mean you wouldn't believe this guy, I think he buys equipment like the rest of us buy groceries. Think I heard him talking last year about trading planters between corn and bean planting because it was quicker and easier to buy new then clean it out and set it up for beans. Now you might be saying he probably was do for an update, but the corn planter was new when he went to the field just two weeks prior to beans. And his sprayer and combine, well let's just say he doesn't even know where the fuel tanks are, when they need refueled, he just heads to town and brings home a new setup. Once again that is quicker for him then fueling and servicing. Not something that I would recommend, but hey if you've got it, you've got it.
0 Kudos
Frequent Visitor

No offense taken Shaggy. I like your story about ECIN, I have a mate like that too. When his wife's car needed new brake pads, he traded it in.

Down here in Aussie there are quite a few people addicted to new paint. We call them Victorians or South Australians. they are two states where it rains!

I enjoyed your posts about your gear, I thought of starting another thread about who is doing the most acres with the oldest gear. Winner gets due recognition from his peers?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Yes. Last year got a new 1770 jd and pulled it with a '97 jd 7810. My monitor is an agleader integra that i had been using. JD salesman said "it'll just hook right up". Not exactly true, but jd tech and agleader guy helped me out. It's always something like "you just need this $1400 module" or "all you need is this $400 cable/harness".  There's more to this story, but it will work . I'm not mr. technology.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have a new 2012 case 115 maxxum on a 1986 7200 12 row Deere. The biggest pain was that Deere and case have two different 7pin setups so for the longest time I couldn't figure out why I couldn't lower it, split it etc. It was a huge hassle. I did a lot of work to this old planter to make it like new. Everything works well now

The point is, keep at it and you'll find the solution. You just migh feel like your going insane while you do it. By after your done you'll likely never have another problem.
0 Kudos
Frequent Visitor

Yeh, I'm getting that feeling right now. I have a mass of spaghetti on the back porch that the salesman tells me will help it to work. Fortunately the dealer has come on board for half the price. And I just got a text then to say he is on his way up with another $78 worth of double adaptor for the accessory plug in the cab.

Mind you I shouldn't complain, he is 4 hours away, Probably should be grateful I see him at all!

Thanks for sharing your experiances.

0 Kudos