cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Safety chain for planter

Late Saturday, while pulling a 6100 White 8 row planter in easy going, the cast iron hitch clevis snapped.  A clean snap, no prior cracks.  I couldn't stop in time and some wires and hoses didn't disconnect.  Instead, they broke.  Many of the fittings were JIC and were almost impossible to find on Saturday night or Sunday.  In the end, I didn't get running until Monday afternoon.  48 hours of prime planting time lost.

I bought a 3/8 grade 70 log chain and chained it to the tractor drawbar so if another clevis breaks at least the planter won't tear lose the hoses and wires.  Some are very difficult to make break-away. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mike se il
Advisor

Re: Safety chain for planter

When I was going to college I spent a summer working for an area farm near where I was going to school (long story).  Coming in one day on a 5020 with a 21 ft Krause disk the bolt broke on the clevis.  I ended up with a clevis and remains of 4 hoses on the tractor and a disk way down in the ditch.  I don't think any of the couplers disconnected properly.

This is one place dad and I never agreed on.  He came from the philosophy "If that thing comes loose I don't want it bouncing along behind me"  But then again, except for a once a year trip pulling a camper the only things Dad pulled were local on a county road.

I spent several years pulling various trailers anyplace within about an hour drive servicing and setting propane tanks.    I made a "Dad" comment one day early in my career there and the boss responded "So what are you going to say to the husband when your trailer comes unhooked and runs head on into a van with his wife and 3 kids inside?"

I got really good at putting on safety chains.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I don't know why, but the last 2 planters we've owned (IH 800 and 900 Cyclo's) have come with safety chains. (Probably an option that we would not have ordered had we known about it) I've always thought it was a pain to hook and unhook it from the tractor..because for where it is attached..you have to have it pretty much childproof to keep stalks from flipping it off. That was until I had the same thing happen to me that happened to you. From that time on..the safety chain didn't seem like an option that isn't needed...Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I never had a hitch break but last summer when i was in a hurry I pulled away from the haybine without disconnecting the hoses.   1 broke away, 1 didn't.   Result:  a new hose and jack stand.   As my grandmother said:   Haste makes waste!

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Would you believe it, the new clevis broke today.  I had the safety chain in place and while it took me about an hour to get planting again, there now no collateral damage.  I'm sure glad I put it in place.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

How did you get back to planting so fast?  Is your dealer that close to get another clevis?   Is it a design flaw that they keep breaking?   I know of quite a few of those planters around here and haven't heard of your problem before.  

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

When the first clevis broke, I borrowed one from a friend and ordered a new one.  When the friend's broke, the new one was already here.  I took the loader tractor with forks on it to the field,, lifted the planter tongue and made the repair.  Quite painless.  So, I ordered another.

I have talked to two dealers and they say they sell a clevis or so about once a year.  One says the design has been changed to make the slot longer.  These are cast iron and bolt rigidly to the toungue so there is no flex or give.  Some say a big, thick drawbar is a problem but my tractor is 35 years old so I have a little trouble thinking the drawbar on an Oliver 1855 won't work.

I'm strongly thinking of having a steel one made.  The cast cost about $80/ea by the time they get to me. 

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Good point, Safety chains especially on gooseneck trailers arent for your protection they are to help protect others behind you or oncomeing traffic.

0 Kudos