cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BOYD FARMS

Sharpen Mower Blades

Years ago my dad had the local blacksmith to forge a new edge on big mower blades.  Is this still a common practice, or do most farmers sharpen with a side grinder, or just not sharpen at all?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: Sharpen Mower Blades

I like to sharpen my blades  after every six hours of use on a heavy duty bench grinder.   Sharp blades do a better job of cutting the grass, takes less time and saves gas.  I does take time pull the blades off and sharpen them, but with sharp blades you can go a little faster and it pulls less on the motor.  I'll buy a set of blades every year.  Another six weeks around here before mowing!!

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

I sharpen them with an angle grinder when they cut ragged and if they are bent up a little from trying to cut rocks, I'll bend them back down in a press.  It does seem a shame to pitch the whole blade when the last six inches gets all the wear, but I have not seen anyblades w/ changeable ends.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Field mowers or lawn mowers?   I sharpen lawn mower blades with an angle grinder once a year.  The field mower (chopper) I may touch up once in a while but the edge doesn't last long.  The pasture mower I'll sharpen when the grass looks ragged after mowing it.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

I maintain 2 good sized lawnmowers and sharpen the blades about 4 times per season.  I take 'em off and sharpen them on a bench grinder. Job of mowing is better, but the biggest mowing problem on my JD 737 is the buildup under the deck.  Just did mine and my mother's yesterday. 

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I know what you mean about the buildup.  It's mostly a problem the 1st month or so of mowing when the grass is juicy.   I keep a putty knife in the tool box of my X543.

0 Kudos
James22
Senior Contributor

Local family owned machine shop primarily uses a forge/hammer on big mower blades, but still does final touchup with a side grinder. The one son does a bunch every year including those for the township.  Great family but the 90 year old father insists they continue working at 70's wages/prices and customers bring junk in for repairs that should be thrown away.  Not many individuals would maintain a full working shop with a service truck and only charge $20/hr.

0 Kudos