cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I sell my air seeder and planter and go with one planter for corn and beans?

We recently had a member of our family come down with cancer, he normally takes care of 1/4 the work load. He is not available to help now and that we have the crops in this year we are thinking about selling a 36' air seeder and a 16 row corn planter and going with a 1780 or 1790. I am the corn planter, bean planter and sidedresser. That is why we are thinking about doing this. I have had 3 people tell me that we will be happy and one person tell me that we will be very disappointed. The biggest thing the guy said that I would be disappointed with, is carrying around all the extra rows when planting corn. (it will create more compaction). Does anybody have any thought on what the best way to look at this is?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Should I sell my air seeder and planter and go with one planter for corn and beans?

In a word>heavy.  Especially the 16/31. The guy who runs the sprayer at the local elevator said he doesn't like spraying behind these planters as they leave the ends so rough.  The ends of fields planted with these planters have water in the wheel ruts after even a moderate rain and the corn doesn't look so good either.  But then again some of these guys tend to push the envelope a little hard.  You didn't say what size planter you are thinking of but it sounds like you have a good setup now if you have a tractor for each planter.  A guy bought an air seeder a few years ago and I'm surprised at how well it works.  His beans are every bit as good as those put in with a planter.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Should I sell my air seeder and planter and go with one planter for corn and beans?

...Is there a possibility..that you could switch to 20 inch rows...cut some of the weight...still get some of the advantage of narrower rows on soybeans...and get more yield on your corn? (The areas of the country that seem to benefit the most from narrower corn rows are north of I-80). I like those air seeders...but if it's sitting and not running..it's not benefitting you very much.

0 Kudos

20" rows were not thought of, but that would be a good idea! I really like the air seeder, you can drill a boat load of beans a day! Was just thinking we could hopefully stock half the parts we are now and relocate a tractor to tillage. Thank you for the idea of 20" rows. It will give us a couple hours of pondering. I appreciate the in-put!

0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm not very well versed in what is available in the "large" planter market today..but I think Deere should probably be making a 20" row machine..that has central fill....and that would approximate most of the advantages of the air seeder...

0 Kudos

Its not to bad of a set-up, we can keep going the way we are. I was just thinking of keeping half the parts and half the maint. and relocating a tractor to tillage. All this thinking came along when I was sitting in the second tractor planting beans and thinking. Why do I have 2 planters if I can only run one at one-time. I had 3 peoples opinion before and I thought that I would get others. If you can think of anything else that would help me with my decision, don't hesitate to tell me! Thank you, hope everything goes well!

0 Kudos

Yeah, the 1790 CCS is availible in 15", 20" and 30" and that set-up MIGHT be a little lighter that a coventional planter unit on the 1780 Maxemerge. I could check out the JD website and find out how much the 1780 and the 1790 weigh. If you can think of anything else you think I should think of let me know.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We use all Kinze 16/31 on 30/15 and we havent had a compaction problem. That being said most of our corn is on beds, but beans, of course, are not. We plant in anywhere from sandy soils to heavy gumbo. One Kinze is a hopper style, the other bulk fill. I would imagine that the bulk fill would have a little more of a compaction issue due to all the weight being over the transfer tires, but haven't seen any noticeable compaction.

0 Kudos