cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beron
Friend

Stalkmaster corn head

Will I have enough combine to run an 8 row Stalkmaster chopping head on my 9560STS? Run a 893 now without any issues but will take more power and it is a heavier head. I'd like to stay at 8 rows--duals on combine  a 6 row head would put me right up against the standing row. What does everything think?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
brandonf
Contributor

Re: Stalkmaster corn head

is this the type with lawn mower type blades? If it is it will require more power. I would recommend a geringhoff. They are quite pricy, but do a very good job. They require much less horsepower than the lawnmower type and they are also much less prone to being damaged by rocks or other obsructions
0 Kudos
greenpower
Contributor

I work for a John Deere dealer in central Nebraska and would say not to. I had a customer put a 8 row Drago on a 9560sts and it wouldn't pick it up off the trailer with out pulling the header trailer in the ditch and letting the air out of the tires. You will neeed 70mm lift cylinders to pickup a 8 row chopping head. Your 9560sts probably has 60mm. I would recomend that you have the High torque reverser. I know your machine has the heavy duty and that is not enought. Now there is some confusion betweeen the two but the high torque reverser spring is about a as big around as a large coffee can. The reason I say to have the high torque reverser is beacuse the guys that put the 8 row Drago on their machine went through a variable speed feederhouse drive belt every 4 days at the end of the season because the head tore up the cams in the reverser. Thats $450 every 4 days. I would say you need to get a bigger machine to run this head.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
kashmo
Visitor

brandonf  do you have a geringhoff?  Or for anyone else that has one , can you give me some input on how well it takes care of the stalks and the heads reliability.   Im considering going to a stalk shreding head ,but im not real impressed with the lawn mower blade style.

Thanks for any info

0 Kudos
brandonf
Contributor

I would definetly recommend a geringhoff if you are thinkin of bying a stalk choping head. For the most part they do a very good job. The only time there's been problems with them was in really green corn. They are excellent for dry corn, but you do have to go a little slower in high moisture corn. The only disadvantage to them is price, but I think for the quality there worth it. Parts are usually easy to get (at least through a Deere dealer), I would think it would be the same with others, but they are very expensive. I was told by the company that the dics that chop the stalks last approximetly 2500 acres, however I know they wear out faster if you are doing much high moisture or end up taking off green corn
0 Kudos
sapro616467
Reader

Take a look at the CAPELLO  Head  it is one great head,  We run a 8 row last year and it does a very good job of chopping  they have been building chopping heads sense 1986  And it does NOT windrow the stalks to the end.  See videos on youtube !

Worthington Ag parts is the US Dist      www.capellousa.com   1-507-644-3244

0 Kudos
mnsts

Have both geringfhoff and stalkmaster.  Geringhoff may take less power most of the time, but they require way more maintenance and expensive upkeep.  New knives can be put on the stalkmaster for a fraction of the cost and you're good as new.  You would need the bigger cylinders and the heavy drive.  Kits are available to eliminate the windrowing.  You may come up a little short on hp once in awhile, but it should do most of the time whatever head you buy, stay with the 8row.

0 Kudos