cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Straw chopper alternatives for my early 1460

My 1460, a 1979 model, does not have removeable panels at the beater to allow for a factory chopper installation. I know redekop is out there, but one of those is more than my combine is worth.  Wondering from those with experience, what options there are for an aftermarket, or even an adaptation of possibly another combine brand of chopper being mounted externally at the rear of the machine.  I have a specialty rotor with kyle rotor flights and disrupters, but the job it does on the residue is inadequate.  Any ideas?  I could update the old girl, but I really hate to.  I have been completely thru her and have updated what I could, but the chopping issue has me flumaxed!  TIA to all you smart folks out there!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Straw chopper alternatives for my early 1460

Well it looks like we aren't that smart after all out here judging by the number of responses. Best bet would be to check with the local mechanics in your area and see if they have any ideas. Might even be able to find find something at a bone yard. Maybe even as drastic as cutting your own holes, and making that fit up to removable panels you are able to locate.

Was a chopper not an option back then? How were they installed?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Old post but might give you some ideas.

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32121

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Not sure what year the 1460 came out, but pretty sure they did not have them.  I am thinking shoup sells the tsr kit talked about on the other site, but that also requires the operation of cutting in  the holes for the bearings etc....  My blacksmithing capabilities, while useful in most instances, come up short when accuracy to that degree is required.  Geihl I think used to make one, called a straw storm, and a friend in canada had one but the crazy canuck has fallen off the planet. 

OH PETE!!!!!!!! If you are out there none of your old emails seem to be working!

Thanks sincerely for the info though.  I'll keep looking. If you see anything else though, keep me in mind. Again, thanks for the info.  Regards!

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

dedbroke,

We had this same problem with r 1680 harvesting beans several year back, dad's fix was taking the three grates (key stock)out at the back of the rotor and bolting old section knifes, we mounted them in a staggered position on each grate. I think we put three on each one, best I remember that was to aggressive (tore the bean stems to much) ended up using two on each one.
Just watch mounting them, that they don't hit the rasp bars or separator bars. Was a cheap fix, and did not notice a HP drag from it
0 Kudos
popcorner
Reader

Just because your combine does not have the bolt in panels does not mean that you can not put in a factory chopper .

You just have to torch out the panels and the bolt in panels for the chopper will fit in place. I know because we did two of them some time ago. Be aware that other items also have to be changed to make this conversion.

The beater pan has to be replaced with the chopper pan

The mounting tube that goes accross the top of the machine ( between the roter drive and the engine ) will probably have to be changed also , to mount the chopper drive gear box.

One great thing about this is that the 6 sided belt on the right side will no longer drive the beater or chopper and will now last a long time and not have to be  messed with as often, also the chopper will not choke like the beater. good luck

0 Kudos