cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Talking about cars. What are some of the nice ones you had

I started with a one year old Chevy bel aire four door hardtop. Blue and white

Next a 59 buick four door hardtop Red and white. One cool show boat. Tail fins and all.

Next a 66 ford four door sedan. Getting older now and more serious. Burgandy with a black top brand new $2650 with tax and license

Next a 72 2 door Pontiac catalina 2 door hard top. Lite brown and very classy.

Next a 76 thunderbird lipstick red. Last of the big birds. Bought it when i had the ford dealership. I had other cars I drove as demos.

Since then I have had several cars including another Buick, a seville, a town and country, s Saab rx7 and currently a Lincoln mkt Red and pretty elegant.

Lartely we have been running cars for along time but we don't pile up alot of miles on them. The 2006 Saab just turned over 52k miles. Will probably keep it as a second car for another 5 years.

Pete just stirred some memories with the 57 chevy and I thought this might be a good topic.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Talking about cars. What are some of the nice ones you had

Dad gave me a 75 Ford Maverick 4 door when I turned 16, said I was just going to wreck it.  10 days later hit 2 deer.  2 weeks after that I was rearended.  Kept the car another couple of years until the thermostat stuck and destroyed the engine.

I bought a 72 AMC Javelin with a 304 engine.  This was a fun, one of a kind car.  Sold it to a guy that hit a telephone pole. 

Then a 69 Mustang, another fun car but lots of engine problems.  Most likely caused by a heavy foot.

A few others over the years was a Chevy Nova, Jeep Wrangler, and a Subaru.

Have had my 92 Olds Cutlass, 2 door since 1995, still runs like a champ with 240,000+ miles.   Now sitting in the barn at home while I am stationed in Japan but I look forward to driving it again one day.

In Japan I own a Toyota Cavelier.  Decent car but no power.  Sure is great on fuel mileage though.  And a nice ride.

When I return to the states I plan on buying a truck, probably a Dodge diesel which I will keep until the wheels fall off.  Never bought a new vehicle so I am looking forward to this.  Will use it on the farm (my retirement job) and to pull a fifth wheel travel trailer.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

This is gonna "date" me , but my wife came with a '60 bel air (she got it in '76). Her dad bought it for her when she was in college. Actually one of the cars I like best is the '07 honda accord we now own. I keep pickups a long time and always buy regular cab 3/4 ton. I had a '76 chev, 82 chev, a 95 chev , and now a 02 ford. Liked 'em all. the '82 amazingly never developed any rust. the paint was falling off, so I had it repainted and replace the dash and door panels. drove it several years and one night it burned up from an electrical fire in the cab.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

That lincoln mkx is what we refer to as an "i'm a successful farmer" car!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

74 trans-am that would haul donkeys

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

At 16, I got to start driving the old family car..1967 Impala 4 door(283 2 speed). For Christmas that year(1975), I got an underdash 8 track player to compliment the indash am radio. Boy was I cool! Got to fill up with gas from the farm barrel so cost and mileage were unknowns but the car took about a quart of oil a week to keep the oil lite off. Not sure but I think I dumped in straight 30 out of the tractor oil drum.

Upgraded to a newer Impala my senior year for a 2 year stint at a JC. Sold that and went to a 1975 Black GMC Jimmy fullsize, It was my first 4-wheel drive. Big tires, dual exhaust(loud). Pretty much a boytoy.

Got married and , in order, we have driven a T-bird, Olds Cutlass, Astro van, 3 Jeeps, Denali, and 3 Escalades and a Ford Mustang convertible. None of these new. Pickups include, Chevy, Ford and now on my first Dodge diesel. Fun to think back....MikeM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Details details. MKT not Mkx. It's the longer version and was bought specifically for comfort. These old bones have had enough rough riding in a stiff riding SUV. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

First "car" I got to drive much, was a '65 Gmc half ton of my father's. I'd drive it around the sugar beet fields picking up beets. In 1976 Dad bought a 3/4 ton GMC...so I got to drive the old '65 to school every day. Nothin' like have an old six popper with "three on the tree" and a hole in the floor where the dimmer switch was to give you a bath every time you drove through a mud puddle..LOL. As a senior in high school...I bought myself a used '75 Trans Am. 400 big block..and I think they used a 2" inch transfer pump for a fuel pump. First tank of gas through it went 6 MPG....LOL. After driving that car, I figure I must be a cat, because I needed all 9 lives to survive it, heck it would do 50 MPH in first gear..and God knows what it topped out at..the speedometer would wind all the way around. In my second year of college...I ordered a brand new 1980 Camaro RS. 305 small block and another 4 speed. Not too many built like that. On my back and forth trip to college..I used to drive this one road...where there was a small peak at the top of a hill, that you would pop over, and it was quite the thrill if you were doing 65 MPH in the Trans Am...but very manageable. So..I'm driving my nice new car to school...and I pop over the same hill....forgetting that the front end is quite a bit lighter on the Camaro due to the smaller engine. Needless to say, the front wheels didn't touch the road again for probably a 150 feet.....they just dangled until the road came back up to meet us..LOL. Next car...I was trying to decide if I was too young for a Grand Prix (I was 30 at the time) or too conservative for a Porsche 944. So I was in the mall looking around at a car show...and this special edition "Turbo Grand Prix"  was the center piece. It was one of the first of the real attempts at improving performance in the sedan series of cars that GM was producing..and I fell in love with it. So, I wandered over to the Pontiac dealer and sat down with a salesman, and started outlining the kind of Grand Prix I would like. After a while he said, "Hey, we've got this special edition car sitting at the car show...have you seen it?" Of course I didn't know anything about it (Sometimes you just have to play dumb)...and he said they'd have it back to the dealership in a couple days and we could test drive it. So...long story short...I test drove it, talked price...told them it was too much money, and left 'em to stew. Several weeks later...I popped in the dealership just about closing time....and met up with the owner and the salesman as they were leaving. I tossed a figure at them that I'd pay, and the owner said, "I think we may have just sold a car". He came back after looking at the books..shook his head...and said they just couldn't do it. So I left, and let them stew some more. About 2 weeks later, the salesman calls me...and asks if I'd ever financed a car with GMAC. I said I hadn't...because I always paid cash for my cars. He said if I borrowed a minimum amount on the car...GMAC would put up $600 toward the purchase price. So...I said we could probably make a deal at that price. For all that...I ended up paying $20,600 for a car that had a sticker that listed it at $26,400. Best deal I ever made. Of course the fact that I ran Gasohol in it the first 32,000 miles caused me problems. The material in the injector tips wasn't made for alcohol...and they eroded causing them to short out. It was out of warranty by the time the injectors shorted out...so I had it towed to the dealership...and they figured out the problem. The called on a Fri. evening about 4:15...and said that 2 of the injectors were completely shorted out..and the other 4 were showing high resistance...and they would suggest replacing all 6 injectors...for the nice tidy sum of 126 dollars apiece!

I told them to go ahead...and then thought about it all night. I went and talked to my friend who worked a block up the street from the dealership, for an AC/Delco distributor. Asked him how much the injectors for my car should cost. He looked it up..and said they could sell them to me for $76 apiece. I told him to order the injectors...the manifold plenum gaskets...and waited till Monday morning to confront the service manager at the dealer. I was there bright and early ...asked him whether he ordered the parts yet...and when he said he had...I told him to cancel them. I wasn't going to pay almost twice as much for injectors from them...as I could buy the same injector a block up the street. I don't think they liked it very much..but after figuring out how bad they were trying to rip me off...I decided I could pay for the tow to get the car home, put the injectors in myself...and still be money ahead at the game. The last car I've bought is a GMC Acadia. After rolling out of that Grand Prix for years I finally decided I needed to grow up and be concerned about the ease of getting in and out. This vehicle drives great...is fabulous in snow...and while not the greatest gas mileage (19 MPG) on 10 mile runs...it still has made me very happy. I only drive about 4000 miles a year with it...so I'll never wear it out, and having 10 more MPG would only save me $235 a year. I figure the nice ride, the safety of the vehicle, the roominess, and the ability to haul parts and friends..it's probably more than worth it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My first was a 73 Plymouth Fury w/318. I drove it through HS and college, often taking groups of kids back and forth to MSU with me as it was only just a tad smaller than a school bus. I had a big TQ carb on it along w/a bunch of other parts from a 340 engine and it sang nicely at 80-100 mph. Unfortunately, the speed limit then was only 55 even on the freeway and I did get a couple speeding tickets. Not the only one to go through that as that was when Sammie Hagar came out with his famous "I can't drive 55" song.

I have had well over a dozen cars and trucks since along with a few motorcycles. Actually, I had a motorcycle before I had a car, and well before I was legal to drive on the road

They run just about anything from a 60hp Suzuki Samurai (which I still drive) to a 450 hp Dodge Dart with a modified 440, which was a toy I had in my 20 something years. I also drive minivans, trucks, and have had cars of all shapes and sizes. My favorites are the ones that rarely break, and when they do, that I can fix.

The sweetest sound is a wide open hemi with open headers, but I have never had one. The BB Chevy and Cleveland Ford are pretty good substitutes and a lot cheaper. But I kind of like a quiet car now, and maybe when electric ones get cheaper....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I started with a 1960 Ford Galaxie 4 door my folks have me in '67.  Shortly after I bought a neighbors '63 Impala 2 door, 283 3 on the tree.   Then a '69 Dart Swinger 340 my senior year in nigh school.  I did a lot of drag racing with this car and my next one, a '71 Z-28 Camaro.  Then the one that slipped away. A '69 ZL-1 Camaro. They made 69 of these special cars and I owned no. 69.  It originally came with an all aluminum 427 engine but had a 396 in it when I bought it.  I paid $1700 for it, had it 5 years and sold it for $3600.  The third owner after me tracked the original engine down and restored the car, it had been totaled.  It's worth in the 7 figure range.   Since then an assortment of pickups, suburbans, Impalas. Cavaliers, a 67 Camaro I raced in the 90's.   Really too many to list as I usually had 2 or 3 cars.  Presently have a Chevy dually pickup with the 8.1 gas engine,  9 mpg pulling a trailer, and an older Impala with 170K miles on it  Yes, cars have been my weak point.  Oh and the '95 Vette I bought last winter.  In fact I drove it around yesterday looking for a dry field to combine in.

0 Kudos