cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Talking about cars. What are some of the nice ones you had

First car was a 1966 GTO. Then a big 65 Chevy Impala SS (commonly known as the beer mobil). Then came the best, a 1970 Dodge Super Bee. Then marrage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My first one was a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury factory 383 car,It was a $200 special,but wish I still had it today.For my senior year in high school I graduated to a 1968 Dodge charger.not an R/T but a nice looking charger.Then 18 and out of school the next fall finaly purchaced the one I realy wanted.a 1969 Corvette T top daytona yellow with427 390 hp with auto trans.also inthat era came a 1970  3/4 ton 4x4.Had the vett for 6 years and sold it for almost twice what I paid for it.Since then I had a 1972 Corvette roadster with 454 4speed,and a 1960 vette with 283 3 speed. Eventualy sold both of those cars for well over purchase price also,Now residing in the corner of the shop is a 1963 sting ray convertible.Funnest vette I have had.(Hope this one stays.) I have Two 1997 F 350 power stroke 4x4s and no desire to trade one them for a new one,they are great trucks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

At 17 farm grew a little,  workin long hrs, just two of us , dad gave me operator share on 120 acres of milo in pay.  Normal yield at time 35 bu/a.  first crop hit 60 bu.  Bought a new 67 ford torino.  Dad ok'd but didn't speak to me for 3 months.  $3200...still best car for the  $$ I have owned.

same acres hit big crop 7 years in a row and payed for my accounting degree.......  After that he finally forgave me.

Second best car was the one I drove back to the farm from a job offer in KC.  I think it was a Datsun B210.  Dad died at 59.  

I got to spend 12 good years here with my teacher & friend.  Would have missed that.

Biggest car mistake,  72 camaro, came with wife and I traded for "can't remember what".   Forgiveness is still on appeal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

forgiveness is sometimes easir than permission....MikeM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

u drew a good chuckle here.  Sounds like experience .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I started with a red w/white top two-door hardtop '60 Pontiac. Boy was that cool. It had been my Grandfather's car who died in '63 so it was relatively new. It had a sweet 389. My Dad paid for the gas so don't know about mileage, but we didn't worry so much about that in those days. BTW, after my Dad retired he filled his pickup from the farm gas barrel which at that time I was paying for. So what goes around comes around....

Went from the '60 to a '70 Le Mans. Not sure what I was thinking -- could have had a GTO just like it but way cooler......  My wife who I met in the Navy in 1971 had a '70 Chevelle. We decided to get a sports car while there was just the two of us. Well, we decided on a Datsun 240Z. At that time they were so popular that you put your name on a waiting list with a preference of colors and they called you when you reached the top of the list. (Must not have been too many options.) We waited so long that when they called saying they had a yellow one we jumped at it. (not my favorite choice but it was my wife's favorite color -- learned early in my marrige....). Sold the Chevelle to my father-in-law.

When we moved back to the farm in 1974 we traded my dad the Le Mans for a 67 Pontiac Catalina and a cultivator!! The pontiac was my "pickup" until 1978 when I bought my first pickup.

Many cars, pickups since. One of the interesting purchases was a VW rabbit we bought sometime in the late 70's that we bought for better mileage. We thought the price of gas was high then!!! Notice how the mileage rate was now important compared to the '60 Pontiac era.

BTW, that two-seater 240Z was traded in for a Chevy station wagon in 1975 when our first chilod was born. Talk about overkill and a change in life style. Biggest mistake of this saga is not keeping that 240Z forever. What a classic. Thought we couldn't afford not to trade it in, and we probably couldn't, but......

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Any one have a lead on a two door hardtop '60 Pontiac???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I still have that Super Bee.70,000 miles.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Thanks for this one Kraft

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

my first car was a 68 camaro with 327 and three speed on the floor   loved that car

but i think my favorite was a 1976 mustang II   V6 with a four on the floor and a hatchback   white with blue stripes just like the one in charleys angels!!!!  

I've been to lots of car auctions including Barrett-Jackson in AZ but have'nt seen any.....anybody out there have one?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Friend

I was a Mopar guy, 1st car was a '70 Cornet 500, '69 Superbee w/383 4 spd, '67 GTX w/440 4 spd, '66 Cornet 440, another '67 GTX 440 w/auto on the floor and last one was a '68 Roadrunner w/383 4 spd.  Just about bought a 2010 Challenger R/T last summer but cooled off after a couple days. Will buy a modern muscle car for the comfort, driveabilty and AC if I get another.

0 Kudos