cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

The old 706

We had an old International 706 on our farm for years. Was a lot of fun to drive...for about the first 10 minutes of whatever we'd be doing. Used it mainly for raking hay, drilling feed cane and running the small square baler. Bet we had that transmission torn to pieces 100 times (or so it seems!).

Sounds like these old gems are seeing pretty healthy sale prices at recent machinery auctions.

Read more >> 

Surely everybody's got an old rig like this on their farm they use for odd jobs, right? I'd love to hear what your version of our old 706 is! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: The old 706

We have a 1967, gas, narrow front. My dad bought it new in December of that year. Got the dealer to throw in a heathouser. My brother drove it most of the time pulling a 4 bottom plow. I pulled an 8 row JD 7000 planter for 23 years. It now has over 11,000 hours and doesn't get used alot. Rebuilt the engine 3 times. Once it got to burning valves about every 100-150 hours. At first we thought we were getting poor valve jobs from the local shop. After the 3rd time we tore it apart and the gear on the end of the crank was loose, as it slip back and forth it was letting it get out of time, burning up the valves. Also on it's 3rd torque, we put them both in, along with the clutch while it was down. No other transmission problems or rearend problems. All in all it has been a good old tractor.

0 Kudos
Contributor

What do you mean OLD???

I'm still using my 806 diesel.  Just got done on a 7.000 dollar engine rebuild, a 2000 dollar TA and clutch, 200 bucks on the starter that was nothing wrong with, 600 bucks for new gauges, a complete restoration paint job,  yada yada yada. 

I figure that I have 12,000 yikes into it.  I guess sentiment overruled the pocketbook in this case.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My dad had a 706 back in the day... 3020, I suppose you and I have a lot more in common than we thought.

My first tractor was an 806, when I bought it was tore down.  Got it out on the farm and ran it for an hour and the oil light came on.  They hauled it back in and it seems they had put a gasket on wrong.  Didn't charge me for the repair but they did charge me for the oil... ha like they switch oil. 

So I got it home and they had forgot to tighten the hydraulic line under the cab.  Long story short rather than take the cab off and fix it I cut out a little spot on the floor and did it that way.  That was 33 years ago.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

My dad bought a 350 Farmall new, and my brother used it daily to feed calves until 2 years ago, when he had his accident, and can't drive it any more.

I still use the old 656 daily feeding cattle, along with a 766, which is our 'all around chore' tractor, and my dad's favorite tractor to drive to this day.

0 Kudos