cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Tires, tires, tires....

Was reading a blog item by a Nebraska farmer, who ruminates on all the tires he uses in his operation (full story).

Struck me that the number of tires needed on a farm is rather mind boggling--compared with the sixteen I have to manage between a truck, car, and two bikes.  

Off the top of your head, what would be your guess of the number of tires you have on your place? Just curious.

John

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Tires, tires, tires....

151 and I quit counting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

John - purely because it's that boring at the fire station today, I started adding them up and got 286 not counting quite a pile of spares to help in season. That's kind of depressing when you really think about it, but what the heck according to the public we are all rich farmers anyway right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I quit counting at 300

Let's see, 46 on irrigators, 14 on augers, 46 on trucks, 60 on implements, 44 ... no,  56 ... umm 68 .... 72 on wagons and trailers, 56 on tractors, 7 on forklifts (yes, one has 3 wheels) ... oh and I forgot the rotary hoe in the old shed ... and the 2 old front mount cultivators, and .. you know, counting semi-retired ones we have 20 on lawn mowers, and ...  with spares we 13 on campers and ... pickups ... counting spares we have over 42 on pickups/light trucks/Jeeps/ATV/UTV's.

OK, that's getting to be a scary number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We have over a hundred on wagons alone and if you add up all the other things and the little tires like on lawn equipment atvs and silo blowers, it comes to between 300 and 400. I think we are a significant part of the local tire shop's business, especially with skidsteer, tractor and trailer tires. We have a lot of old tractors that are going on their 3rd set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

over 240 yep scary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A scary thing- if you don't sell the machine when you retire, you still need to replace tires. Trust me, I know from experience! I have been waiting for 9 days for tire repair on my 4440. The nearest tractor tire repair service is 40 miles away...Soyroy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

136, I think I gottem all.   Oops baler, 138.  Choppers, 142.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

John, I did not even try to count, I'm small time and it is still over a hundred.

The scarry part is that tires seemed to have jumped about 150%+ in price when I wasn't paying attention and these new elete corn varities seem to produce stalks that eat tires. Yes, that maintence item will be bigget than expected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

farming 200 acres, average equipment...2 years ago, while wife was cutting grass, she counted 188, and she missed quite a few and we have added equipment since then.  she tells me when every single one is low too.

0 Kudos