cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Title for ATV Used On Highway?

Does this mean that in Iowa, an ATV may be used on a highway in some c ircumstances and it may need to have a title?

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=billinfo&Service=Billbook&frame=1&GA=85&...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Title for ATV Used On Highway?

Not sure what you mean by "title" Jim, but here in Ontario they need to be registered and display that number in order to be used on any public property including secondary roads or on the shoulder of a highway. That doesn't include limited access highways were they are banned entirely. Snowmobiles are the same and both must carry insurance.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think it is similar hear in Ohio. Last I heard if you use an ATV for farm use only, you don't need a "title". I think even if you use it only on your own land but use it recreationally it has to have a title. How would they prove any of this???
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Understand now Jim. That would be the same as here but we just use a different name for it. We call it a "vehicle licence" and for cars, trucks and motorcycles there is an annual fee to pay to renew the plate sticker. For snowmobiles and such it's a one time fee to register unless the ownership changes in which case the new owner must re-register and pay a fee. All of them require proof of liability insurance coverage. There are a whole bunch of other regulations involved as well.

Personally I think it's a good idea because it provides a way to track down the bad actors out there. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

If you buy a new car, you get a title, which says you own XYZ auto and which you keep secure, a registration which you keep in the car and produce to prove you've paid the current license fee, the license plate or "tag" which is fastened to the car and then as years go on yo uusually just put a different colored piece of tape on the plates to show the registration is up to date by looking at the plates.

I dont' know if there is any idea of eventually "licensing" the ATVs and making us keep a registration on them or not.

0 Kudos