cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Walter
Advisor

Tools never die

Heard an interesting radio program this morning (click here) in which the case was made that no human invention, tool, or technology has ever disappeared completely. In fact, all of them, every single one, are still being made, according to the report.  

It seems incredible, but the interviewer went through a list of tools to try to disprove the claim, including things like stone age axes, carbon paper, and steam-powered cars.

Eventually the discussion turned to farm tools, and they dove into an1895 Montogomery Ward catalogue to search for examples of possibly extinct tools. Nothing in the catalog has disappeared from use, it turns out.  Examples from the catalog: a cast iron pig trough, a horse drawn Kemp manure spreader, and an electro vapor engine.

The interviewer was unable to win a bet that he could find just one example of a tool that's no longer being made.

I would think a farmer could come up with something. Anyone? (Mine would be hog oilers.)

John

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JJ Johnson
Contributor

Re: Tools never die

Isit a question of still being used, or still in production? There are alot of things that are not being made currently, but still being used. I know of a few farms in SW Iowa that still use hog oilers. There are still hoig oilers being produced elsewhere in the world. 

0 Kudos
John_Walter
Advisor

Re: Tools never die

JJ: In the story they talked about all these tools not only being used in the world, but actually still being produced new. That's the part that really intrigued me. I guess I'll have to hunt up a brand-new hog oiler for my collection. I had doubted they were still being made. -- JW

0 Kudos