cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Tractor Safety

Do your tractors have rear view mirrors that clear implements you pull?  Should tractors be required to have rear view mirrors?  How about turn signals?  Do yours have turn signals?  None of mine do.   Two have cabs and two are open station.  I sometimes think I should wire up turn signals for the tractors and wagons.  I'm not on the road a lot, but on one road people drive so darned fast - .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tractor Safety

We just bought a 7110 magnum and i added mirrors onto it that can extended out about 3 ft on either side. This is for the grain cart, the baler and our drill which has a liquid fertillizer tank mounted in the middle, so when raised you cant see directly behind you. When extended it looks dorky but you can behind you. I would like to put flashers on the end of the mirrors also. I think strobes should be standard rather than flashing ambers, most of flashers are hard to seed during the day, especial when pulling equipment and people are coming up on you that have a hard time seeing through the equipment you are pulling

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I don't have mirrors. But do use 4 magnetic led flashers that can be moved from one machine to another. I usually position them to provide the maximum visibility. One tractor does have turn signals, the others are John Deere 2510 and 4320
0 Kudos
Artifice
Senior Contributor

What is suggested  in training for a 12 yr old, just ready to start some tractoring this coming summer.

Are JD 2C without fenders safe eniugh for a beginner? 

TIA

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

12 year old

You'll get lots of ideas on this.

Part of it depends on what background the child has.  If you are training a city kid who has not been around farm machinery, they don't have the general background a farm kid has.

What size and stength - boy or girl?  Are they large enough to sit in the seat right?  Can they push the clutch and brake in properly?  Are they strong enough to steer?  

A problem we have now that we didn't years ago is the issue of liability and government looking over one's shoulder.  If something would happen, you could get hit with a child abuse investigation.

The tractor your talking about does not have ROPS as far as I know.  A roll over could be fatal, and a young child may not know how to avoid or deal with instability.

I know lots of kids that drove a tractor like that when they were 12.  One of them lost a leg because he was harrowing, turned too short and the chain pulled up over the wheel qot his leg.  

I would not train my kid on that tractor, but others may ahve other ideas. 

0 Kudos
deereboy41
Frequent Visitor

on our small farm my dad trained me on a john deere 2 cylinder with a hand cluch that was the best way to teach me I was to small to be able to reach the foot pedals that hand cluch was easy the brakes are right there. I think that a john deere cylinder tractor is the best way to teach a child how to  drive a tractor.

0 Kudos