cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Tractor brackets not realistic

Well, of course what I want to say is that the results are not what I want to see.  i think the tractors were a mixed bag.  Some, like the Farmall M, are there because they were popular, not because they were any good.  Some, like the Oliver 770 or 1655, were among the best tractors ever built with many features and refinements but weren't included.   Were were the big 4WD tractors put out by IH and Oliver in the late 60s?  Where was Big Bud or the Versatile?  The Silver King was not there.  Foreign tractors?  Not a one, not even a Cockshutt.  Where was the MM 335, a great yard tractor, or the Case 580C, a wonderful utilty tractor for around the farm.  And not one orchard, high crop, LP or other specialty tractor.

So, what's the best tractor not included in the Tractor bracket?  I don't mean the one your grandpa had and you loved, I mean the technically most innovative, best built, most efficient or easiest to fix - something like that?  Of all the tractors you know, which one on the list would you have inlcuded?  I already said my piece on that.

For sentimental reasons, what do you like?  What I I would have inlcuded for sentimental reasons is our old Super 88 Oliver diesel with wide front.  That was my plowing tractor as a boy.  It was honest as the day is long and not as sexy as the 880 but would almost plow with it. 

Obviously, we need to get Dave Mowitz to put together some other brackets - one my tractor will win.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Tractor brackets not realistic

M farmall not any good?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I'm sure many liked them, as they were very popular.  I'm not sure they are one of the 32 top tractors of all time.  But - would they be in your top 32?  That is kind of the question I'm asking.

I'm not taking pot shots at any particular tractor so much as wishing we'd seen others.

Oh, well, this is all in fun.  Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Tractor brackets not realistic Jim Meade

No offense intended Jim. I just loved those old M farmalls, spent a lot of time on one.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Pretty much agree.  Many tractors which I believe should be included were absent, and others that were I couldn't imagine making the tractor bracket.  Also thought the pairings were questionable.   Did vote for those that I thought should be in the brackets and obviously superior.  Didn't choose between the suspect choices.  But it's their "ball" so shouldn't  grumble much.  Cockshutt made many good tractors, but during production was hardly a blip on the sales chart.  This shouldn't be the only criteria, but they were so great at least a few more farmers would have bought them.  The MM 335 was a good tractor, but didn't have any innovative features that would separate them from the field, and again not many bought them.  Love my MM's but consider perhaps the KTA and the G1000 Vista as possible contenders to make the brackets, and even then not likely to make it to the second round.  Again, good tractors but not contenders for the title.  Don't believe the Oliver 70 was included which was a significant oversight.  I thought  any short list should contain the Fordson, JD 4010 or 4020. Farmall Regular, Ford 9N, Farmall M or H, MH 35,  AC WD or WD45 or perhaps the  D17.

0 Kudos