cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Tractor safety on public roads?

In Iowa so you have to have your warning lights on and your blinkers in use when driving on the road? 

I know you should but I am just wondering what the law is?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Tractor safety on public roads?

Signals don't help here JR.  I about got wiped out a couple weeks ago making a left hand turn into my driveway.  I was pulling a wagon load of corn home from the elevator with a smaller tractor so I had to stand up to look over top the wagon just to make sure no idiot was gonna pass me.  The tractor has a canopy with turn signals and flashers at the top of it so I know they were visible.  The driveway is just a couple hundred feet from a stop sign too.  Sure glad I took the time to look over the wagon just to be sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

When we used to pull 2, model 400 Killbros gravity wagons behind a tractor, there was no way to see behind you. We decided you really needed lights on those wagons to be safe. So one day my father was pulling into a field driveway..with the turn signal on...and the local high school music teacher had been trying to pass him. He ended up going down through the ditch..out into the field..down to the next driveway..and back out on the road. The ditch was fairly deep...he twisted up his pickup a little bit...but he admitted, he had seen the lights and the turn signal, it just didn't register with him. We felt bad for him...but there wasn't anyone hurt, and that was the important thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Heck i dont think it matters if its a tractor and implement or a semi. This summer i was bringing the semi back to the house just before dusk, i knew i had a oilfield pickup behind me so i put my turn signal on early and started slowing down early, our driveway is at the bottom of a hill and there is room enough to pass before the next hill, as i started to make my turn i looked in the mirror and that **bleep** truck was right beside me, I hit the brakes and the swerved. Nobody was hurt and they kept on trucking, when i got into the yard i checked my lights, everything was in good order, they just werent paying attention, saw i had slowed down and tried to take advantage. It almost cost them their lives.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I didn't find the answer to your question, but I did find several sources that made quite interesting reading.  Warning, they are long. 

http://www.intrans.iastate.edu/reports/SMV.pdf

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/about/white_papers/pdfs/ag_equipment.pdf

0 Kudos