cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

What came first: the car/pick up or the tractor?

With so much talk about self-driving vehicles, and rumblings of self-driving tractors, headed our way in the not-so-distant future, it made me curious how many of you learned to drive a tractor before you learned to drive a car/pick up. Which one did you learn to drive first? If it was a tractor, do you remember the make/model?  Mine was an IH 1086. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: What came first: the car/pick up or the tractor?

AC WD-45, the hand clutch was a blessing.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

My first tractor driving experience when i was about 4, my Dad and I were raking hay with a B John Deere and a neighbor stopped to BS and I got bored, so Dad unhooked the rake and I kept occupied driving in a circle while they talked.  In the winter we had a field pond probably a foot deep, I drove on the ice and in the middle it broke through, had to get Dad and he drove it right out. 

Dad had his pickup parked parallel to Mom`s `69 Impala they were about 1/2" narrower than that B was wide and of course I drove between them putting a intermittent crease on each.  Dad only said "That was pretty good driving, you scraped each one equally"...I suppose he couldn`t hardly punish me, he was the idiot that turned a 4 year old loose driving a tractor  Smiley Very Happy 

I learned to plow with a W-9 International and a 4 16" model 70 plow.  That was one you could turn on the headland, drop it in 8-10" and not touch the steering wheel or anything til you got to the other end, assuming the lays were in good shape.

My Granddad and his brother would plow with a 15-30 kerosine McCormick and their story was they would be each on the headlands across from each other and just jump on to turn and drop the plow and send it back driverless.  Sure they never plowed much that way but they had the story to tell about how well it held the furrow.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

John Deere B with a 2 row rotary hoe. First plowing was a 3020 and 3-16s fully mounted plow.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Grandpa's JD 3020 power shift.  Still can remember the sound of that 4 cylinder diesel.  I hated it when it was sold on his sale.  That was 1992, unfortunately have no idea where it went from there.

0 Kudos
Advisor

IH - H. Raking hay.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

IH 560 gas.  Dad bought a brand new one in 1960.  He had it in his mind to plow around the clock in the Spring to get the work done, so my brother, Dad, and I would take would take our turns pulling a 4-14" bottom plow, plowing around the field instead of in lands.  Dad didn't like waisting time driving at the end of the field.  One night I was plowing in a field where we had earlier seen some red foxes.  I was sure one was going to jump-up on the tractor, drag me down and eat me, the fears of a nine year old.  We plowed corn and bean stubble ground!  Smiley Sad  Things sure have changed in the last 50 years. Dad later traded the 560 for a  MF 180 diesel.

0 Kudos
lancej5634955
Frequent Visitor

My first was an AC WD, I was 6, and yes, the hand clutch was about all I could use until my legs got a little longer.  Drove it pulling a flatbed wagon, while my older brothers had the fun job of pitching rocks on the wagon in the spring, and hay bales later in the year. One of the few times, being the little guy was a blessing. That tall first gear really gave the brothers a workout trying to keep up!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

8N Ford on the fork pulling up hay.  I was probably 8 or so.  Had to stand up to use the clutch.  Next would have been raking hay a few years later.  

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

IH 400 farmall. I was six. Second tractor was an 806 mowing hay with 9 foot haybine.
0 Kudos