cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: What machine will be the ultimate UTV?

We'll be driving the machines on a wide range of terrain (flat ground to mountain pathways), and we are evaluating based on 12 criteria (listed below). However, we will also look at specific categories like you mentioned Husker. Besides best workhorse and best runaround, what else would you like on that list?

•    Access to engine and transmission
    •    Location of controls and gauges
    •    Ease of shifting transmission
    •    Ease of engaging four-wheel drive, differential lock
    •    Steering responsiveness and maneuverability
    •    Acceleration
    •    Ease of maintaining a constant speed on the trail
    •    Braking
    •    Noise level
    •    Overall rider comfort
    •    Cargo and storage
    •    General fit and finish

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

How about ease of getting the keg and grill in and out of the box? Are we judging that too?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well, with farmers getting older, I might suggest comfort.  
I don't know how many categories you want, but it might be nice to note which has the smoothest ride in rough terrain, the most comfortable seats, etc.   I have read a few online reviews, and I can't remember anyone ever rating them on how easy it is to get in/out of the seat.   For someone like my dad, who is starting to get arthritis, that could be a big deal.   Who has the widest opening, the most convenient grab handles, etc.   I think 90% of the use for atv/utvs are to replace a farmer's 'legs', but in places you can't justify a pickup. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I agree with husker on the ease of getting in and out. Even for a younger person, chasing a cow up to a gate and jumping in and out to latch it behind her has some influence on what a man buys. Atv's and utv's have their place on every operation where they just fit better than any other machine.
While there will never be a replacement for a good horse, you don't have to feed an engine when you aren't using it. That's worth something. At the same time, I don't know how many times I've gigged a 4 wheeler to get a little more speed thinking I was jabbing the spurs into it! And you don't have to run your horse 3 laps around a tree after roping a 4 weight calf just to keep him from dragging your ride out into open country Smiley Happy maybe they'll make a utv with a good park brake and a saddle horn.
I rigged some hand levers to the pedals on the neighbors kubota when my dad broke both legs in a pto wreck. He got along good but that thing wouldn't even do 20 mph. If it was pulling something, it would be ideal. But chasing something was like pouring mallasses down a funnel in January. He bought a Rhino which was great at 1st, but after a few years of rough use, I've replaced just about everything but the steering wheel.
Just once, no matter what it is, I'd like to buy a new piece of equipment that works straight off the trailer and just as advertised. Not sure it will ever happen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Husker. That was accually the determining factor between low end Deere and Kubota for my dad. He couldn't get his foot from one peddle to the other on the Kubota.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Aren't the Deere's rebadged Can Ams? Why don't you put Can Ams in the test?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Deere may still be using some can am "technology". But can am quit building for Deere several users ago. It was when Deere quit selling a ATV.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

For anyone who spends a lot of time on atv/utvs, comfort is a big deal. Especially like you said for older farmers like your father, although I'll admit that even though I don't fit in the "older" category, I still like to be comfortable when I'm riding! We could maybe do a category for comfort and include how the machine rides in rough terrain, how comfortable the seats are, how easy it is to get in and out, etc. And speaking of getting in and out, what are your thoughts on doors vs. nets?

One thing I'll look at is adjustable seats. Being a little on the short side, I appreciate being able to move my seat up. Otherwise I feel like a little kid trying to drive!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

As much as we love a good beer and steak, we'll have to save that for after the evaluation! Safety first!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Just my opinion, but I prefer doors.  The people who ride at the dunes prefer nets to keep the weight down, or so I'm told.

0 Kudos