cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tree fmr
Advisor

Re: What machine will be the ultimate UTV?

I do not own a Kubota. Just think the brand is high quality from talking to people that own it. 3rd hand opinion I guess.
Looking forward to your results!
0 Kudos
bates11
Friend

Kioti is a work horse, medium speed,diesel, largest box,4 wheel drive all standard

0 Kudos
Jessie_Scott_SF
Veteran Contributor

Re: Nice canopy mike.

Wow, Mike! You've done a lot more than make a few minor adjustments to your Mule. One reason I was curious about your machine is we've thrown around the idea of creating a UTV service vehicle. We've seen a lot of innovations on machines (like yours below) and we'd like to go through and build a machine that incorporates the best ideas. Any advice from you (or others in this discussion) on what you'd like to see on this machine or lessons you've learned from your work, would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Jessie_Scott_SF
Veteran Contributor

Hit the trails for the first time yesterday at our evaluation! Here’s a quick video recap: http://www.agriculture.com/videos/v/81241794/ultimate-utv-evaluation-monday-report.htm.

We had a good rain Sunday night, which did a few things for us. It knocked the dust down on the trail, but it also made the ride a little slippery in some parts (although in my opinion this made the trail more fun!). We were originally going to start with a loaded test but decided to hold off.

Unfortunately I’ve only had a chance to drive three of the machines so far, so it’s time to go hit the trails again! We’ll be back later in the day with more detailed posts on the machines.

0 Kudos
lbedord
Contributor

Little Goose Ranch.jpgWe're at the Little Goose Ranch in Big Horn, Wyoming, this morning ready to ride for the Ultimate evaluation. We had a chance to check out the trail yesterday, which was a bit muddy thanks to some rain the night before. My first run was on the Polaris Ranger XP 900. It's a nice handling machine that took the hills and trails well. Even in wet, muddy areas, it gripped the ground and stayed on course. It also sped along the flatter areas well. I'm planning to take it out for a second round today to check out a few more things like lights, safety features, etc.

Stay tuned as we report back on other features and machines.

Laurie Bedord, Advanced Technology Editor

0 Kudos
lbedord
Contributor

A nice feature on the Honda is the fact that the cargo box can be converted into added seating for two additional passengers. Pretty handy feature that increases it's versatility.Honda resized.jpg

0 Kudos
lbedord
Contributor

Comfort is a great point. The one thing I've noticed about many machines is that the seats are not adjustable. For short people like me, it's a problem as I find it difficult to keep my foot on the accelerator when there is too much distance between me and the pedal. My foot repeatedly slipped off on a few machines. There were a couple of machines that I felt myself nudging forward in order to feel comfortable with my foot placement.

The John Deere 850i has great bucket seats. They are very comfortable. But again I could not find a way to adjust them.

Up next, how easy is it to get in and out because I've noticed a difference in the machines. Some have wide spacing while others are very narrow and barely allow enough room to get one foot in.

0 Kudos
lbedord
Contributor

Just took the John Deere 850i out with a load in the cargo box. I could barely tell that i had a load on the back. It handled well and still seemed to have plenty of power to handle the hills.

Love the seats in this machine. . . bucket seats that are very comfortable. . . and they adjust!

0 Kudos
Jessie_Scott_SF
Veteran Contributor

Buckfarmer, I've been thinking of you today when I've been climbing in and out of the Gator models we have out at the evaluation. We have the Gator XUV 825i with bench seats and no nets or doors. On the other hand, we have the Gator RSX 850i with high back bucket seats and doors. The XUV is easy to climb in and out of. And with the bench seats, you can easily slide from one side of the machine to the other. However, on some of the rougher trails I felt like I was sliding around in the seat (and I had my seatbelt on!). The seats in the RSX are extremely comfortable, but you do have to deal with the doors and it is in no way as easy to slide across the machine.

We do have six more machines we are evaluating, but I thought it was interesting the extreme differences from one manufacturer. (As a side note the XUV is also available with a high back bucket seat).

0 Kudos
lbedord
Contributor

Honda opening.jpgWas able to get the seat adjusted in the JD RSX 850i and it felt much more comfortable when I was positioned better!

One point that was made is the difference in the openings of each of the machines. So I decided to pull out the tape measure and see for myself just how much difference there was. Keep in mind that we have riders - young and old - short and tall - climbing in and out of these machines. Here's a rundown (measurements are approximate just to give a general idea).

Arctic Cat Prowler 700 HDX:  7 inches - But once you get in you have over 20 inches of leg room.

Bobcat 3400:  10 1/2 inches

Honda Pioneer 700-4 (pictured)
:  9 1/2 inches - Once you get in you have over 14 inches of leg room.

John Deere RSX 850i:  14 1/2 inches

John Deere XUV 825i:  14 1/2 inches

Kubota:  12 1/2 inches

Polaris Ranger XP 900:  11 1/2 inches

Yamaha Viking:  15 1/2 inches

0 Kudos