cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebraska Sandhiller
Frequent Contributor

What row cleaners to buy

I have a jd 7000 planter I want to put row cleaners on.  This will be used on irrigated corn on corn ground.  Ground is classified as sandy & highly erodable.  We  generally have lots of trash even after grazing cows.  I have noticed that places where I had a skip, there was lots of trash. when planting, I thought my planter was doing a good job.  I am wondering the problem is the ground not warming up quick enough.  this is in NW Nebraska and planting in the first part of May.

I see one of the local BTO's run Groff ag wheels and all the local green paint dealers seem to sell them.

Have heard some good about sunco & dawn.

I would like to hear about likes and dislikes and opinions of different brands. 

We sometimes have a problem with the ground staying cold in the spring, I am thinking I need to get some bare ground near the row.  Ground is highly erodable so we have to have some trash.  I have heard mention that the sunco's move to much.  Why is that a problem?  does one have to be concerned with the wind blowing the trash back on top of the planted area?

6 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: What row cleaners to buy

You didn't say whether you're no-tilling, or mulch tilling. I also have never seen the Groff wheels..but have seen pictures of the Sunco's...and have used Dawn wheels for years. The Dawn wheels have never..and I mean never given me a bit of trouble. I don't know how long the bearings are supposed to last in them..but I've never had one go bad. The wheels have never bent...and the only time we ever had an issue..was when we tried to run them through some wiry dead shepherd's purse, that was too damp, and it wrapped around them a little. I doubt that any of them would have run in that situation...so I don't feel it is an issue. The wheels I would look at for a new planter..will be ones that have depth control bands on them..and free float. I think that might be the answer to a lot of "trenching" problems we see with those wheels from time to time.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I have helped people with various attachments and agree that some sort of finger or spike wheel with depth bands is the way to go,with one exception. While I have no experience in the true sand hills, I have a few friends who farm there, and they swear that putting the seed into a shallow trench is the way to go. Runoff washing out the seed supposedly is not a problem for them, and the little trench got you to more moisture, and helped protect an emerging seedling from possible blowing sand on tilled ground. After seeing what worked, and where, I put Martin finger wheels with depth bands and a center coulter on my White 6000 planter. The coulter slices through the residue, and the finger wheels part it for the row unit. The coulter is set to go about 1/2 to 2/3 planting depth. While not the best in any one condition, it works well in anything I use them for. I have planted conventional till to corn on corn no-till and everything in between. The only time they ever gave me a problem was in no till wheat, where the straw was baled, a bale broke, and the twine wound around the wheels. Believe it or not, the glob of straw didn't plug it, but the row didn't plant down to soil. They use tapered Timken bearings in the finger wheels with a grease zerk. Mine are hung from the planter frame instead of the row unit, and are spring loaded, with depth bands so they do not trench except on fully tilled ground. My setup is not the best if you were all strip till, or all conventional till, but with a few adjustments, works well for everything I do, and is better no tilling into wheat ground thananythng else I have seen. The center coulter cuts through the trash, and starts the slot about halfway down, or a hair more, which helps maintain planting depth in hard spots, without using so much down pressure to compact or smear in the wet spots. Our soils here are variable, so need something that works in varying conditions.
0 Kudos
Ceder
Friend

WE sell the Strip Cat here in Ne. and we put Sunco trash whippers on 99% of our machines, they are made for corn and bean stubble. You can check them out on the Suncos' website .

0 Kudos
INOFarmer
Reader

Interested in how many acres you farm and how often you change your seed opener blades???

0 Kudos

Been very pleased with Suncos.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

500 acres of row crops, and have gone 5 years and wore about 1/4 inch off the openers.  The coulter in the row cleaner is wearing down at least twice as fast as the opener disks.

0 Kudos