Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

What size grain cart

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

In the next few years I will have the opportunity to farm more land, but it is about an hour ride in the tractor to get there and I don't like the idea of hauling wagons, auger, etc all the way there to fill trucks.

I have been thinking of buying a grain cart but I don't know what size my tractor will handle.

I have a IH 1066 as my main tractor now, it has a full rack of weights on the front, duals, and a heavy draw bar.

Thanks,

Jared

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Advisor

Re: What size grain cart

Jump to solution

I don't know exactly what size drawbar you have..but I wouldn't want over a 500 bushel cart on that tractor...and that may be stretching it if you have hills to climb...

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Grain carts are kind of an expensive piece of equipment right now. they work if you have the extra labor to run one and keep the combine moving. But if you are short on labor and /or money, maybe buying another truck or a truck and wagon would work better for you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies,

I have been trying to think of ways to make harvest go a little easier.

Most of the labor is supplied by me, but I could teach my brother to run the combine and my dad can help on weekends.

I hire all my trucking done, and I just don't like the idea of hauling four wagons and an auger down there to fill trucks.

I believe that the previous owner of my tractor had the draw bar custom made, it is heavier than any I have ever seen on tractor this size.

Any chance that it would handle a 700 bu cart with limited use for a year or two until I get a larger tractor? If not what size tractor should I be looking at.

Thanks guys,

Jared

I

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

Here's the thing Jared...if you're only using the cart as a "Stationary surge tank"...your 1066 is plenty big enough to pull it around empty. It's when you start thinking you can load beside a running combine..and head out across a soft field that you are going to get into trouble. A 1066..at 35 years old..weighs around 13000 lbs. A newer Magnum...of the same horsepower...will weigh right at 20,000 lbs. And that's a 2 wheel drive Magnum. I think my 7230 FWA weighs right at 25000 without fluid in the tires. That's a lot of difference in tractive weight, and braking capacity. I wouldn't use much less than a 7120 2wd to pull a 700 bushel grain cart..and would be much happier with my 7230 on it. But if you are loading Semi's ...you might be as well off, to just buy a used 1000 bushel cart..and put some good jacks on it (like the landing gear under a semi) and then just use the 1066 to operate it and pull it around between fields (unloaded of course). I'm in the market for something like that..simply because once I get my semi loaded...I waste the rest of the good harvest time in the afternoon during bean harvest driving it to the terminal and getting it unloaded. With a big cart...I can load the truck..load the cart and the combine...haul the 1st load as it gets dark...and either come back and load the second..or wait till morning to load it and get it unloaded during the damp time in the morning.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

I just looked up the specs on EZ- trail grain carts.

The loaded tongue weight for the 510 is 2,500lbs and the 710 is 2,800lbs, not a big difference.

I already pull two 300 bu wagons in the field, and I know a guy that has a 510 cart and pulls it with a 1466 with no problems.

I'm not trying to be a know it all, but  I just don't see that much difference between the two, other than the gross weight.

Most of the time I could probably park it at one end of the field and move it short distances to unload.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jared

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

Pupdaddy,

Funny that you would post that as I was writing my post.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, just use it more as a storage tank until I can afford a larger tractor.

I hate wasted time and that is why I don't have a truck of my own, my elevator can keep trucks coming as fast as I can pick it.

Thanks for your advise,

Jared

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I had a brent 472 on a 1086 for a few years. When it was full it was a pain. Full rack of weights and still couldn't steer. Find a brent 420 had one it was a better fit

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: What size grain cart pupdaddy

Jump to solution

Jared with all due respect pupdaddy is dead on. I have 472 brent on 7120 mfwd and its so much better than the 1086 was and  a whole lot SAFER

0 Kudos