cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Wind, snow, rats & snakes: Winterizing irrigation systems

Sounds like these are the public enemies #1 when it comes to your irrigation system this winter. Just saw some good info on winterizing your system here

So, beyond what this gentleman suggests, what are you doing right now to get your systems ready for winter? Any other concerns you think he might be leaving off the list? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Wind, snow, rats & snakes: Winterizing irrigation systems

Boy oh boy here Jeff, that is something I fret about every fall when I make the rounds around the farm to do all my winterization projects. I'm not sure if I'm like everyone else, but it seems like my irrigation systems are always the last thing to get completed, usually causing some damage to a few components. I've tried to leave this chore to my son, but obviously it isn't real high on his priority list either. But in a nut shell, I usually wait for a bright sunshiny day in the middle of December so I can allow the 5/8" garden hose to fully thaw out so I don't crack or break it while I drain it, wrap it up and place it in the garage. On most years, the $0.99 rotating sprinkler gets sacrificed because the cost of the kit to rebuild it runs way over replacement costs once shipping/freight is calculated into the repair bill.

What's that, you were talking about center pivots. Hell, I've got no idea. I've never owned one. HA HA

I know, I know, there is usually one wise guy in every crowd, but in the Ag.com crowd there are at least 2.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Shaggy
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Wind, snow, rats & snakes: Winterizing irrigation systems

I was just telling somebody this morning about the wise-acre who'd drive by the bottom end of one of our flood fields while I was trying to count the through rows, every stinkin' morning yelling "17, 11, 29, 73, etc., etc...." But hey, that pipe never blew up under my expert 14-year-old watch! Ha!

Hey, happy Turkey Day down your way, too, Shag. Hope everybody stays warm and gets a belly-full or 5!

0 Kudos