cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

best disc ripper

what are the best rippers ? What are the ones to stay away from ?  going to pull it with a mx 240

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Advisor

Re: best disc ripper

don't have one, but always thought the sunflower ones looked well made.I like that you can raise the back gang separate from the rest of the implement. If it gets wet, you can just raise it and keep going.  I think the models are 4411 and 4412? those might be old model no.'s tho.

0 Kudos
Advisor

...I hope that tractor's turning 225 horsepower or more at the PTO if you want to pull one of those disc rippers with two gangs of discs and 5 shanks.  I've seen several of them...JD's looks strong...Sunflower makes good heavy tillage equipment...Krause makes good heavy equipment too. Brent I think is the name of the one my neighbors bought last year...it left a very level surface to till this spring when used in dry conditions last fall. Some of them can really build a hump in the middle if you don't adjust the back gang right. Be very careful going diagonally if you can't adjust that hump out of whatever you buy.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We run a DMI 5 shank with 2 disc gangs up front of the ripper shanks followed by disc closing wheels behind for leveling.   Our five shanks have 10 inch wings on them to better break up compaction.  

My neighbor has a new Krause model that I believe is called Terimator.   It runs disc gangs in front and behind the ripper shanks plus uses a rolling basket system on back for better leveling.

While our 5 shank DMI runs 12 feet wide the neighbor's Krause is useing 9 shraight ripper shanks and his unit is only 14 feet wide.  Not sure if I am convinced the 10 inch wings on the DMI shanks are the way to go or if it would work better to have more straight ripper shanks spaced closer together as the Krause does. 

We have ran them together in the same field and admit that the Krause does a better job of leveling.  The neighbor quit cutting his stalks after purchasing the Krause and seems to get by very well running it in standing stalks.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We run a 510 Deere. It is average. Frame is good, but the blades seem to wear out quickly. Handles a hidden rock well. 5 shank needs about 230-250 hp here as well It has a harrow on the back and all the neighbors run harrows or buster bars on theirs as well.
0 Kudos