cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

best old grain truck

I'm looking at '79 IH with 345 gas engine, '79 Ford L700 with gas engine, '74 GMC 6000 with 350. I'm wondering if there are any features on these trucks that would make me want to stay away from buying them.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: best old grain truck

None of them will win any fuel mileage contests, being gas engines. The chevy with a 350 will likely be the easiest to find engine parts for if needed. That being said I have two '72 International tandems with 392 gas engines, and get along great with them. The Int engines are tough. The one truck has been on this farm since about '74 (dad bought it used) and has never had anything done to the engine. I know of quite a few Chevy's and Fords in the area that have had engines replaced or rebuilt. Personally I would buy the Int.  Patrick

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'd stay away from any gas. That's just my personal preference. But if one those of those trucks is what your set on I'd go with international.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The Louisville ford will turn a very tight radius. I have a L800 I use as a nurse truck for sprayer. 391 gas has been a good motor. Used to haul apples with it and averaged 3.2 mpg though!! Gas isn't dependable like a diesel engine, but the plugs and points are easy to service. Air brakes would be another deciding factor on which truck to buy if one of them is equipped that way. Just my preference, but it's nice to trust your park brake when dumping grain in the pit! Good luck.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If one has air brakes, and the others don't, that would be the one I'd pick.   Don't have to worry about leaking wheel cylinders, which seems to start to happen as trucks age.

If they all have hydraulic brakes, I'd go with the IH.  

0 Kudos