cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

case 1200 12 row planter.....and a case 7110 Magnum......= problem??????

Ok so we just purchased a 1200 case 12 row planter.......we were told by a few people that the tractor would not handle a 16 deff....... so we went with a 12 row.....now we had a mech. friend from a dealer come out the other day to help wire the afs pro 600 system.......and he said that we will be pushing the limit of the hyd. pump on the tractor for lifting the planter on the ends and have the vacum on......is there anybody out there that could shed light on this and if u have about the same unit give me some input......also is there a update to maybe get a bigger pump to take care of the planter.....were really not wanting to trade the tractor off because its really in good shape and love it..............any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
7 Replies
matt4430
Friend

Re: case 1200 12 row planter.....and a case 7110 Magnum......= problem??????

probably gonna have to buy a newer tractor.  Im a john deere guy but a neigbhor had the exact same issues. was told he could run a 1250 12 row planter on i believe was a 7240. he had the same problems you had. and after trying all diffrent options a mechanic finally admitted the tractor didnt have enough hyd capacity.  So he had a deere 8520 there, put that on it and it worked fine since that had the hyd capacity. so unfortunatly u may have to see what larger newer tractor ur case ih dealer has to make up the hyd issue. hope this helps??

0 Kudos
Advisor

Can you run the vacuum system with a PTO pump?  I do on a Deere planter and wish I had done it years ago.

0 Kudos
Ken D
Friend

We pulled a 1200 ,12/23, center fill,large pto pump, with a strong running 7230. The hyd. was maxed out and we replaced the charge pump trying to get a little extra capacity. Traction was also a problem, front assist would have been a huge help. The tractor did the job but  just barely. I wound up trading the 7230 for a MX255. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

These big planters do need a horse in front of them.  I have a friend who just bought a 12/23 Kinze.  He has a 7020 and a 7060 Allis and he's planning on pulling it with the 7020.  I told him he's gonna be maxed out using the 7060 on it.  Another area farmer bought a 16/31 Deere and said he was going to use his 4755 on it.  Again I said that's not enough horse for it.  Next year he had an 8300 in front of the planter.  I figure you need a good 90HP for every 15 feet of split row planter.  Years ago I had 75HP in front of a 10 foot no till drill and it just barely handled it on flat ground and not good at all on hills.

0 Kudos
Farmer8920
Senior Reader

We also had the same problem earlier this summer. We tried our strong running case 7240 on a JD 7200 16 row-30" planter and the hyd. capacity was not enough. We however put our newer case 8920 on the planter and it worked fine. The hyd. pumps must have increased capacity on the case 8900 series compared to the 7100 or 7200 series.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Does the 1200 12 row use only 1 vacuum pump?  I pull an 8 row 1200 with a 7140 and the hyd. system is maxed out.  I even tried to put vacuum pump on the primary remote to avoid the starvation issue, but by doing this, there wasn't enough remaining oil flow to lift the planter from the ground.  I have used it 3 years without major issues, but when I raise it out of the ground to turn around, I can definitely hear the vacuum pump bog down.  Not sure what the hyd. capacity difference is between the 7110 vs. the 7140.  I was considering updating my 8 row to a 12 row central fill, but I would need to update my tractor as well.  Not sure if I want the extra expense at this point.  Can't offer you any help with the HP issue, sounds like some previous reply's seem to think you might need a larger HP tractor as well.  Good luck with your decisions, and I hope all works out for you.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Same here,  The air pump is driven by the tractor PTO. 
If you convert over, be very sure to add an oil cooler of some kind in the system.  Many, if not most that are driven by tractor hydraulics, rely on the tractor oil cooler to keep things from overheating.

0 Kudos